users cant change their password on my domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• users cant change their password on my domain

I have active directory running on windows 2003. lately users have been experiencing problems changing their password.

I have created test user who i force to change password during logon. but this user had to try several time before the system actual allows the user to change the password.

is this probem related to replication problem?

I will appreciate your response since i am not very good on active directory.

Thanks.

Re: users cant change their password on my domain

Do you have the default Windows 2003 Server default complex password policy enabled?
    If so, are the users creating passwords that meet the policy requirements?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, I have policy enable for complex password. and user are using it. as I did try to test for my self it is acts the regardless of password complexity.

Thanking you.

Comment

Originally posted by mariamislam
        Yes, I have policy enable for complex password. and user are using it. as I did try to test for my self it is acts the regardless of password complexity.

Thanking you.
        I too have experienced something like this. This sometime can occurr when the hard drive goes bad on the server that is handling AD. Check in the System Management to see if you have any HD issues. If so clone and change the HD asap. Once I changed it all was well again. Just my 2c, your case may be different.

Comment

You can check for corruption by running FSUTIL from the Command Prompt. Also, if you have a bad HDD then cloning it is usually not a good idea as it is possible to clone the corruption as well.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
            You can check for corruption by running FSUTIL from the Command Prompt. Also, if you have a bad HDD then cloning it is usually not a good idea as it is possible to clone the corruption as well.
            Yes you are right, however, you should always keep a good clone of your server always handy. Then change the HD and clone back. Sorry if I was a bit confusing.

Comment

Folks, imaging DC is BAD BAD BAD if you have more than single DC in the forest. It is not supported and is subject to introduce havok into your AD.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;888794 :
              Active Directory does not support other methods to roll back the contents of Active Directory. In particular, Active Directory does not support any method that restores a snapshot of the operating system or the volume the operating system resides on. This kind of method causes an update sequence number (USN) rollback. When a USN rollback occurs, the replication partners of the incorrectly restored domain controller may have inconsistent objects in their Active Directory databases. In this situation, you cannot make these objects consistent.

We also do not support using "undo" and "differencing" features in Virtual PC on operating system images for domain controllers that run in virtual hosting environments.
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875495/ :
              Microsoft does not support any other process that takes a snapshot of the elements of an Active Directory domain controllerís system state and copies elements of that system state to an operating system image. Unless an administrator intervenes, such processes cause a USN rollback. This USN rollback causes the direct and transitive replication partners of an incorrectly restored domain controller to have inconsistent objects in their Active Directory databases.
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
              X