Event Viewer and Computer Manage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Viewer and Computer Manage

Ever since my DC upgrade from Win2K to Win2K3 and client upgrade from Win2K to WinXP,

I can no longer user Computer Manage to view remote Event Viewer logs on any of my workstations. Anyone ever here of this?

The event logs are stored in the default directory of \WINNT\system32\config

I can still view shared files and some other items in Computer Manage.

Re: Event Viewer and Computer Manage

Originally posted by scott
    Ever since my DC upgrade from Win2K to Win2K3 and client upgrade from Win2K to WinXP,

I can no longer user Computer Manage to view remote Event Viewer logs on any of my workstations. Anyone ever here of this?

The event logs are stored in the default directory of \WINNT\system32\config

I can still view shared files and some other items in Computer Manage.
    This is caused by the client's permissions not the server.

Please try the following method and see if it helps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and then click OK.

2. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, expand System, expand CurrentControlSet, expand Control and then expand SecurePipeServers.

3. Right-click Winreg and select Permissions.

4. Make sure there is a "LOCAL SERVICE" account with Read permission.

The remote registry service must also be enabled on the client.

-----

Additional Info:

245128 How to: Restrict Remote Access to Event Viewer on Windows NT Server 4.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=245128
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Your Suggestion

I checked it out and it appears to be setup correctly. I still don't understand why a domain admin account can not view remote registrys or remote event viewer logs.

Comment

Working...
      X