Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Order of restarting DCs

Dear All,

Could anyone tell me if there's an order for restarting DCs, i heard that the Dc that hold the infrastructure role should be up b4 any other Dc, then the schema master role is the second one and then it doesn't matter which one is next.

Is this quite right or am i wrong, please advice.

Thx in advance

Re: Order of restarting DCs

In you case, is there a huge difference in the startup interval for those DCs? Does one boot up considerably longer than the other? I'd start the PDC Emulator first, then the others.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
      In you case, is there a huge difference in the startup interval for those DCs? Does one boot up considerably longer than the other? I'd start the PDC Emulator first, then the others.
      Does it really matter if PDC Emulator starts first, while we are on a W2K3 environment? i mean there are no NT Servers around, all DCs are running W2K3 enterprise edition, forest and domain functional levels are set to Windows Server 2003.

Also does it in general, require any sort of order on restarting DCs when the roles are not held on one DC? i am implementing the microsoft's recomendation on FSMO roles distribution...

Comment

The PDC Emulator is the one the would be "most noticeable" if it were down as the other FSMO roles are strictly for administrative functions. Daniel, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's that crucial what the order is when you restart DCs.
        Last edited by JeremyW; 19th September 2006, 13:14.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
          The PDC Emulator is the one the would be "most noticeable" if it were down as the other FSMO roles are strictly for administrative functions. Daniel, correct me if I wrong, but I don't it's that crucial what the order is when you restart DCs.
          I assume you meant to say "I don't think". As I said, I too don't think it matters that much, but if there is a cosniderable difference between the time the first DC boots and the rest of them boot, I'd boot the PDC Emulator (the reason for doing so is the time sync issue).
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

If all DC's are down, you will run into the following interesting design feature:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;305476

Comment

I assume you meant to say "I don't think"
              Yes I did... and I noticed one other grammatical error. And I have no excuse since English is my first and only language.

Originally posted by wkasdo
              If all DC's are down, you will run into the following interesting design feature:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;305476
              I'm somewhat familiar with this.
              I think it's interesting that in all the MS Press books that I've read that talked about FSMO roles stressed the fact that if one of your role holding DCs go down and you then seize the role(s), you should then never bring it back online. But according to the above KB it shouldn't be an issue if you do.

Is there a possible caveat that the server won't wait for inbound replication if you do an Authoritative Restore or force replication?
              Last edited by JeremyW; 19th September 2006, 13:16.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

> But according to the above KB it shouldn't be an issue if you do.

That's a half-truth. It is certainly not best practice to seize when you don't really have to, and on top of that you don't want to rely in this new functionality unless you really have to.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that only the RID and PDCe are hardened against seizure, the others are not.

Point of the article is: first DC may take a while to boot, since it is waiting for initial replication.

Comment

Wkasdo, really good to see you back. So, how is the "evil empire" treating you? My apologies for going but it is good to see an old friend back again.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Wkasdo.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                      Wkasdo, really good to see you back. So, how is the "evil empire" treating you? My apologies for going but it is good to see an old friend back again.
                      Hey Biggles, yes it's been a while. I still have the forum in RSS, and this caught my eye. The Empire is keeping me really busy - guess I asked for it! But I like it, I was overdue for a change. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
                        Hey Biggles, yes it's been a while. I still have the forum in RSS, and this caught my eye. The Empire is keeping me really busy - guess I asked for it! But I like it, I was overdue for a change. Later!
                        Look who's here ! Glad to see you here !

Btw, I can think about at least one reason to start PDCE of the forest root domain first - it is the authoritative time source of the whole forest and if it's down during other DC's boot, you'll get Windows Time Service warnings related to failure to sync the clocks.
                        Guy Teverovsky
                        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt
                          Btw, I can think about at least one reason to start PDCE of the forest root domain first - it is the authoritative time source of the whole forest and if it's down during other DC's boot, you'll get Windows Time Service warnings related to failure to sync the clocks.
                          Duh???

As I said, I too don't think it matters that much, but if there is a cosniderable difference between the time the first DC boots and the rest of them boot, I'd boot the PDC Emulator (the reason for doing so is the time sync issue).
                          Isn't that what I said?
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Duh???

Isn't that what I said?
                            Oh ! So you are still living under impression that someone actually reads your posts ????
                            Guy Teverovsky
                            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt
                              Oh ! So you are still living under impression that someone actually reads your posts ????
                              Nice comeback!!!

Michael
                              Michael Armstrong
                              www.m80arm.co.uk
                              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X