Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL 2008 R2 Complete Backup?

Afternoon all,

a hard disk failed on my test SQL server over the weekend. Not a huge issue as I have images & SQL backups.

New hard disk installed, Image copied back to hard disk, server booted first time. Opened SQL Management Studio and restored my databases.... Easy I thought, all done in less than an hour...!

After a short while I realised that the database backup only backs up the data, it doesn't backup any of the instance, logon or user information. It took longer to recreate this that it did to copy the image back...

Question: Is there anyway I can backup the entire SQL instance to I can restore in one go...?

Many thanks

Dave

Re: SQL 2008 R2 Complete Backup?

SQL server stores a lot in the master, model and MSDB databases - are you backing them up too?

You can also use the "script to" option to make "backups" - or at least scripts to recreate - other database objects
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

errrrrr no I haven't backed up Master, doh why didn't I think of that...!!

I'll have a go at backing up then restoring to another instance see how it works... thank you!

Comment

master database will be per instance (re-reading your original post) but it should contain the bulk of the "server" settings (plus it is vital for a DR to rebuild the instance properly). MSDB has all the agent jobs
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X