X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL serve 2008 R2

Hello Expert,

I am looking for basic information on SQL server 2008 Backup process

All i ended up with information after simple Google is : take/use .bak file to take backup

Can anyone help me to understand , if i can take backup of direct DB files instead of .bak files. bcoz we can save memory !! . though can't we restore using the backup of directly backed up DB files ????

what are the drawbacks for taking backup of direct DB files??
    any pointers / any best practices

Thanks
    Mike

Re: SQL serve 2008 R2

The problem with backing up the mdb / ldf files is that they are open, and changing, so the backup will not be reliable (and more importantly, SQL will not support full recovery this way). Also the log file will not be truncated, so will keep growing.

The preferred process is a scheduled job (look into maintenance tasks in SQL server) to backup the files, which will ensure they are logically consistent, then use your backup software to backup the bak files it produces. This is the only way to be sure you can recover your databases and ensures logfile growth is minimised
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X