No announcement yet.

Upgrading SQL

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading SQL

I am not very well versed in SQL. I have a client that runs their business on a SQL database with an Access 2003 front end. The database currently runs on a PowerEdge 2800 running Server 2003 and SQL 2000. The database and frontend were written by someone who basically sat down with a book 12 years ago and whipped the application together.

The server is getting old and has had a few hardware problems recently and I was looking to get them into something a touch more modern. Server 2012 and at least SQL 2008. The only things that connect to this database are the Access frontends and their website pulls data from it.

What do I need to do, aside from restore the database to a new server, to get this database moved and functional on a more modern platform? Or do I run SQL 2000 on server 2012? Or do I migrate the machine to a VM and run server 2003 virtually? (Don't really like this option)

Thanks for any insight you can offer

Re: Upgrading SQL

You cant do a straight backup/restore from 2000 to 2012 - you have to go via an intermediate version (see
    AFAIK as long as the database is small enough, this can be SQL Express

You will notice a lot of positive differences from 2000 to 2012 - SSMS is the big one, so well worth upgrading it

AFAIK the front end will have no difficulty connecting to the new version but obviously test carefully before going live on the new server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **