Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APPV Man console error after installation: There were problems interacting with the d

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APPV Man console error after installation: There were problems interacting with the d

Hello,
    dedicated SQL 2012 for Management and Reporting DBs of APP-V management server (standalone 2012)
    Successfully Installed APPVMAN server. When open the console:
    "There were problems interacting with the database on the server. The error was: Login failed for user Domaine\machine_name$"

On SQL used default installation accounts for services (was recommended for non clustered environment). Just engine installed.
    For SQL admin account used: domain user placed to local SQL server admin group. During Appvman server installation provided domaine admin account (only one person for start, no group)
    Made some research on web before posting here. Came to conclusion that APPVMAN server machine account should be able to login to DB. So now the question how to add Mashine account to SQL. Found some tips.
    But before going deeper I would like to ask people here, because I followed installation guides and non of them mentioned something specific regarding machine account in the scenario where SQL and App-V running on separate servers . Just nice console screenshot after installation.
    Please help in simple way .
    Attached Files
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: APPV Man console error after installation: There were problems interacting with t

Am I right in saying that this is version 5 of App-V? Ensure you are not using the express version of SQL and if it's on a different box to the App-V Management server, I believe you have to run some elements of the installation on the SQL server.

I am not as familiar with App-V 5 but I know with prior version I had to set a static port rather than dynamic. If you have left it as dynamic, look as see if the SQL browser service is enabled and that the SQL services are permitted though any firewall that you have enabled.

Have you tested a connection to SQL using ODBC?

Comment

Re: APPV Man console error after installation: There were problems interacting with t

Am I right in saying that this is version 5 of App-V?

-- Yes it is 5.0 SP1

Ensure you are not using the express version of SQL and if it's on a different box to the App-V Management server,

-- Express is not supported in 5.0. I used it in 4.6 3 years ago. And yes as mentioned in initial post there are 2 VMs servers: SQL and App-v Management

I believe you have to run some elements of the installation on the SQL server.

-- Yes. First App-v setup should be run on SQL server and only DBs (management and reporting are installed), then Setup run on Management server and install Management server that connects to preinstalled DB.

I am not as familiar with App-V 5 but I know with prior version I had to set a static port rather than dynamic.

-- during App-V server setup when provide instance and DB name on remote SQL
      there is an option for entering binding ports. I entered 552 for management DB and 553 for Reporting DB. Probably you asking about those ports?

If you have left it as dynamic, look as see if the SQL browser service is enabled and that the SQL services are permitted though any firewall that you have enabled.

Browser service is stopped. Ports are static.

Have you tested a connection to SQL using ODBC?

No. But after your question will look for instructions how to do that.
      As usually the problem is simple (one little change ) . But how to figure it out is the other question.

Thanks for trying to help.
      I will try to test a connection using ODBC.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

One little thing...

On Microsoft APP-V page supported SQL version for APPV 5.0 SP2 (server is still SP1) is marked SQL 2012 (no SP).
        I used 2012 SP1, because saw that people saying that SP1 should run.
        Was no real confirmation that is compatible.

Now I realize that is could be a problem.

Comment

May be the case. If you test with an ODBC connection to the SQL server to see if communication to the SQL instance is successful and if that is the case, you would then need to test with SQL 2012 (no SP) to rule that out as the issue.

As for the OS you are installing onto, keep in mind that Windows Server 2012 R2 is only supported by App-V version 5.0 SP2.

Comment

after few reverts I successfully connected Appv management and SQL server.

The problem was that remote machine (management server) name was not properly inserted during DB creation on SQL.

Since it is not APP-V forum I will not go into the details.

Thanks a lot for advices.

Comment

There were problems interacting with the d
              I don't think that's its primary purpose.

Comment

Working...
              X