No announcement yet.

Managing Database Users and Updating

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing Database Users and Updating

Hello, I'm going to say I have never worked with SQL Server itself but find myself needing to learn quickly. We recently changed a long over due password for one of our admin accounts on our 2008 R@ domain controllers and noticed that account has been getting locked out. We thought we had tracked all the accounts utilizing this account and updated the password.

Today I find the account locked out so combing through our event logs I find the account being locked out then determine at the time of lock out, we have our MSSQLSERVER starting up a DB at the exact time.

I open up the MSSQL Management Studio, locate the DB in my list and see this account is listed and is assigned db_owner. Now what we actually want to do is replace this account with another, is it as simple as as right clicking the Users folder under Security, adding this new account and assign it the db_owner status within the Management Studio, it can't be this simple is it.

Thank you.

Re: Managing Database Users and Updating

Yes, it is that simple...
    (Actually, you need to add the account to SQL server, then add it as dbo to the database)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **