Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL2k8R2 logs shipping to different OS version

Hello Team,

I'm going to outline what I'm going to do with SQL. and I wonder if anyone has ever done it yet. I need the inputs.

My objective is to have two different SQL servers. And will do log shipping from one Server A to Server B.

Primary DB Server (Server A)
    *Windows 2k8R2
    *MS SQL 2k8R2
    *Primary DB server

Secondary DB Server (Server B)
    *Windows2 2k12R2
    *MS SQL 2k8R2
    *Backup DB. Get log shipping from Server A

So my concern is different OS version between the 2 servers. Has anyone ever implement this method by clustering DB with 2 different OS version?

I will messing around in the lab prior to mess with the production. But I just want the input from someone who might have this experience.

Thanks,
    HN

Re: SQL2k8R2 logs shipping to different OS version

AFAIK SQL log shipping is only fussed about having SQL Server available and not about the underlying OS (as long as it is supported)
    I am delivering the 6231 training in a couple of weeks so will try to find an authoritative answer

If both servers exist, why not try it out?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: SQL2k8R2 logs shipping to different OS version

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      AFAIK SQL log shipping is only fussed about having SQL Server available and not about the underlying OS (as long as it is supported)
      I am delivering the 6231 training in a couple of weeks so will try to find an authoritative answer

If both servers exist, why not try it out?

My current production box is on Win2k8R2. We want to fireup another box, but instead of doing Win2k8 we wanna move to Win2k12 OS. I dont think it would be a problem as long as the DB itself have the same version. But I just wanna check and get everyone inputs

I will do in my test enviroment also before I'm messing with production.

Thanks,
      HN

Comment

Working...
      X