X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KB2884256 messed up software

Hi all,

A windows 2008 server SP2

We have some servers recently update some patches and noticed a couple of our software packages have stopped working and I have narrowed it down to one windows update that cannot be removed.

We have moved the software to another windows 2008 box without this update and it is working fine now.

I want to remove this update but there is no uninstall option, can I remove it manually at all? I have tried the below support think but it didn't work.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-5f14b661166e

KB is KB2884256

Thanks & Regards,
    Simon
    Last edited by Si_Pe; 3rd March 2014, 17:46.
    Kind Regards,
    Simon

Re: KB2884256 messed up software

Just to be clear, when you go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > "View installed updates", nothing is there? I only ask because my 2008 R2 server has that specific update listed there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
      Just to be clear, when you go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > "View installed updates", nothing is there? I only ask because my 2008 R2 server has that specific update listed there.
      Hi,

Sorry no the update is listed but there is no remove option.

Regards,
      Simon
      Kind Regards,
      Simon

Comment

OK, now I see it, and if my experience is any indication, you may have to learn to work around that update. I tried using the following command: "wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:2884256" and got this: "Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2884256) is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled." At least we know the fact that there is no uninstall option is not a fluke.

Very peculiar this one. Out of well over 100 MS updates, only this one and two others have no uninstall option.

Perhaps if you posted the problems you're having that led you to the update, a better solution can be found?
        Last edited by Bertmax; 4th March 2014, 15:31.

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

I have since read that it's a bit of a difficult one.

My problem is we have a bit of software that tries to write to a table in SQL on another server and it was 100% fine until this patch.

I can telnet the server it's trying to write to using the SQL 1433 port and its fine but the software just fails.

I have moved the software to another 2008 server without the patch installed and it's working fine.

I can ping the server I can connect to all shares and other servers can write to it but since this patch the server in question can't.

Cheers,
          Simon
          Kind Regards,
          Simon

Comment

I'm afraid SQL is a bit outside my area of expertise. I'd pose the question in the SQL forum and see what the experts can tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
              I'm afraid SQL is a bit outside my area of expertise. I'd pose the question in the SQL forum and see what the experts can tell you.
              Thanks!

Mods could you move this thread to SQL?

Thanks!
              Kind Regards,
              Simon

Comment

Moved...

Silly question, but have you confirmed port `1433 is open on the SQL box?
                Also which system (client or SQL server) is the patch on?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  Moved...

The OP telnetted to the server and advised it was fine.

OP,

Does the application have any logging capabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    Moved...

Thanks!

Yes it is open and connected fine.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Simon

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                      The OP telnetted to the server and advised it was fine.

OP,

Does the application have any logging capabilities?
                      Not really no!

Thanks!
                      Kind Regards,
                      Simon

Comment

According to the MS knowledgebase article, the only file affected by KB2884256 is "usbser.sys". It should be possible to replace it with an earlier version by booting from a rescue/live CD or the Windows installation DVD.

It does seem strange that a USB driver file should affect an application accessing an SQL database. Are you absolutely certain this exact update is the one causing the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
                          According to the MS knowledgebase article, the only file affected by KB2884256 is "usbser.sys". It should be possible to replace it with an earlier version by booting from a rescue/live CD or the Windows installation DVD.

It does seem strange that a USB driver file should affect an application accessing an SQL database. Are you absolutely certain this exact update is the one causing the problem?
                          Hi,

I am 99% sure it's that update, The software is currently running on another server which has the same updates apart from this one and it's fine.

There have been no other changes to the server apart from this update so it has to be?

I will try copying over an older file version.

Thanks!
                          Kind Regards,
                          Simon

Comment

Working...
                          X