No announcement yet.

Backing up SQL 2008 with MS DPM

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up SQL 2008 with MS DPM

I've been getting this error for weeks now and cannot find a resolution.

An error pops up every morning regarding that the database auto-protection has failed.
    This doesn't happen on any other server we have SQL/Messaging/AD.

"One or more databases could not be protected automatically because auto-protection failed. If the databases belong to a SharePoint farm, then the farm recovery points will continue to get created without these databases. (ID 32511)"

"1) To fix auto-protection, resolve the errors and run AutoProtectInstances.ps1 from DPM Management Shell.
    2) If the databases belong to a SharePoint farm then go to the Protection tab and run "Modify Protection" for the protection group containing the SharePoint farm. In the wizard, expand the SharePoint front-end web server node on the "Select Group Members" page and complete the wizard. Then run consistency check on the SharePoint farm."

The Error details are:

"DPM could not enumerate SQL Server instances using Windows Management Instrumentation on the protected computer."

Recommended Action:

"Please make sure that Windows Management Instrumentation for SQL server is in a good state."

The actual links don't lead anywhere and Google has given me some good articles to try but nothing solid.

The MS links don't work re: the autoprotectinstances.ps1 script you can run to try and re-protect the database but doesn't work.
    Also tried all sorts of WMI tests from the DPM server to SQL and vice versa.

I've tried removing the agent and re-installing it.

Funnily enough, rebooting the server works for 1 night, and then fails again the next day.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Re: Backing up SQL 2008 with MS DPM

set the TraceLogLevel of the DPM Agent 'TRACE_EVERYTHING' and post the text back here...

i have seen this error before, and my guess (which may be worthless) is that the WMI is corrupt or missing.

assuming you have the same type log, you will see something like the WMI namespace is missing or something is wrong with the current WMI namespace...

if so, you can correct the WMI stuff by reinstalling the mof file and it should correct the issue. you can do this by:
    mofcomp C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQLServer\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof

the only thing is that like you said, sometimes the problem reoccurs with the same issue. im not sure of the reason.

let us know what the scoop is and if that helps any
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: Backing up SQL 2008 with MS DPM

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not sure how to do a Trace but I know WMI tests and the mofcomp thing didn't fix it before I posted this.