Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL / Application Compatibility

Hi all,

We have an application called "AssessPro" that runs on an MS SQL database. Currently, that system is archaic and they are telling us we need to upgrade. Well, at present, the database is on Server 2003 with SQL Server 2000.

They are telling me I need SQL Server 2008 (they are not yet compatible with 2012). OK, fine.

I asked them if their software would run on the FREE version, Express. I'm by no means a DB expert, but it's my understanding that fundamentally, they are all the same. They said no, it needs Standard.

Are they right? I mean, I assume they aren't making any additional money by saying they need me to pay MS more fees. I don't think they have anything to gain. But I do find it odd...

Input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: SQL / Application Compatibility

Main difference is the database size (10Gb in R2 express IIRC) so there is a fair chance it will work on both -- they may not have tested on Express so not be confident it will run properly
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There are limitations with express
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Server_Express
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks, Andy - saved me digging it out

Note lack of agent jobs, so scheduled maintenance and similar
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Good info. OK, Standard for sure. Thanks, gents!

Comment

On wike have detailed information - search Ad

Comment

Working...
            X