No announcement yet.

WSUS on SQL express 2005 running out of space

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS on SQL express 2005 running out of space

I have a server running server 2003. It has a timeclock system that uses SQL express 2005 as its database.

WSUS 3 was installed into another instance of SQL express 2005. I was working with WSUS and it was throwing errors. The event log showed the database was out of space.

The SUS DB was 4.3 Gb. After a cleanup it was down to 3.6 and working properly.

I see SQL express 2005 has a size limit of 4 Gb. The timeclock application vendor says they need the version of SQL that is installed.

One thing I never knew is that the Windows internal database does not have a size limit when used with things like WSUS.

So it would seem I need to either migrate to the Windows internal database which I can only get by doing a new install of WSUS or migrate to SQL express 2008 R2 and have a 10 Gb limit.

Any suggestions on which makes more sense appreciated.

Re: WSUS on SQL express 2005 running out of space

just reinstall wsus - that's the easier solution.. you might be able to export your current DB, and just import it into the internal DB once it's setup.

if you go with SQL2008, then you need to buy the licence for it, obviously
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: WSUS on SQL express 2005 running out of space

SQL Express 2008R2 is still free
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **