X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot connect to SQL server from network systems

Cannot connect to DEVSERVER\MSSQL_2008.
    ===================================
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)
    ------------------------------
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdN...1&LinkId=20476
    Error Number: -1
    Severity: 20
    State: 0

Program Location:
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Att emptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Log inNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Ope nLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ct or(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateC onnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat eNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Ob jectExplorer.ObjectExplorer.ValidateConnection(UIC onnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Co nnector.ConnectionThreadUser()

Re: Cannot connect to SQL server from network systems

First thing -- check port 1433 is open on all firewalls involved -- IIRC Server 2008 does NOT open it by default
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have a default instance SQL 2005 Standard intalled, and it is been configured for port 1433. I see dynamic port number in SQL Server 2008.

All firewalls are disabled.

Regards,
      Naushad Khan

Comment

Could you tell us all about the infrastructure related to this error -- no indication this was not the default instance in your original post
        Have you checked and tested the connection string in your application?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have installed SQL Server 2005 as a default instance on this server.

Then i have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 10.50.1600 as a named instance Servername\MSSQL_2008.

I am able to connect my SQL Server 2005 from remote, but i am not able to connect to my SQL Server 2008.

No i have not checked and tested the connection string in my application, please let me know how to do this.

Regards,
          Naushad Khan

Comment

What is trying to connect to the SQL server -- I presume it is a web application?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I am just trying to connect with sQL Server Management Studio from network computers.

Regards,
              Naushad Khan

Comment

Can you post a screenshot of the "connect to server" screen you get when you launch SSMS on the network PC?
                Did you check ALL the solutions in the Microsoft link you posted?
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Sure, here is the attached screenshot of the error message which i am receiving while connecting to sql 2008 r2 server from network pc.

Regards,
                  Naushad Khan
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would suspect (and this is just a guess) that if you install SQL2005, it will start using port 1433 for however many SQL2005 instances you have
                    but if you then put SQL2008 on there, it also wants to use port 1433, but wouldn't be able to bind to the port, even though it's "essentialy" the same...

sigpic

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Comment

This appears to give a solution:
                      http://martinsantics.blogspot.co.uk/...es-of-sql.html
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X