Granting SQL read only access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granting SQL read only access

I have an SQL instance with a few DB's inside. A developer created another DB inside the instance and now needs to send out some .odc data links out for people to view certain reports.

I need to make the new DB read only so the data links are read only. Can anyone tell me how I can do this?

Re: Granting SQL read only access

Are you using integrated (AD?) authentication or standard?
    OLD but you get the gist ----> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.60%29.aspx
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Im using AD

Comment

Good.
        By default sql does not grant access to any user, so in sql server management you will have to make some changes.
        But first Create a group in AD, like "MyDatabaseAccessUsers"
        Then in visual studio or enterprise manager you add that group read only access to that specific DB.
        See here for 2000
        or management studio for 2005/2008
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Cool, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
            Good.
            By default sql does not grant access to any user, so in sql server management you will have to make some changes.
            But first Create a group in AD, like "MyDatabaseAccessUsers"
            Then in visual studio or enterprise manager you add that group read only access to that specific DB.
            See here for 2000
            or management studio for 2005/2008
            Sorry, I also care about this. But when I tick the database to assign the role to user --> there's always public role and with public role, the user can insert/update/delete data.

My situation :

We would like to allow the developer to create/alter stored proc, create table, select data but don't allow them to update/insert/delete data.

Thanks for any idea.
            Love in vain is better than love no one.

Comment

It is certainly possible using SQL permissions, but will require a bit of work / configuration
              Start by getting an understanding of permissions and then look at your db more carefully:
              http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sql...C8fPhAf2-6nfBQ
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X