Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting unwanted databases within SQL 2008

Hi,

Im just checking that I have the procedure right. If I want to delete a database from within SQL Server Management studio do I have to drop the databse first of can I literally just right click and delete?

Thanks

Re: Deleting unwanted databases within SQL 2008

IIRC it is just right click and delete, as long as you dont have any connections to it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossain, when you say connections do you mena active connections or link connections? For example the database's in question are for testing any changes we make to a live db. The software which uses this connection wouldnt be active but it could potentially have a link to the database.

Am I correct in thining this isnt a problem if for somereason the link wasnt removed prior to deleting the DB I can just delete it after. The fact that this connection was in place wont stop deletion of the DB.

Comment

I meant active connections. How can SQL tell if a file (closed) has a link to a dB -- the Psychic Powers add in isn't due until Denali at least

You will get issues if an app tries to connect to a non-existant database (obviously).
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X