sqlservr.exe memory usage keeps climbing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sqlservr.exe memory usage keeps climbing

Hey everyone, I searched but couldn't find a similar topic.

I just recently took over a large operation so I may have a bunch of questions. Here is the first:

I am managing a SQL server (which is a VM hosted by VMWare ESX4 if that matters). It's SQL Server 2005. The SQL Server is running about 25 databases. About a week ago, I decided to allocate more memory to the SQL Server, and bumped it up to 8GB. Everything was working fine and I had alerts set up to let me know if anything was amiss. Today, all of a sudden, the physical memory on the server was at 90% full, as was the page file, and I started getting alerts like crazy. I restarted SQL services from services.msc and immediately it dropped back down to 0 and started over. Now, about an hour later, it's steadily climbing and it's at 600MB memory usage from 115MB when it restarted. I see it climbing up and up. I did some research and saw that a) it is normal for SQL server to do this (but the thing it this never happened before) and b) I can set a max memory usage of the DB container. I checked and the max memory usage is set to 2147483647 MB.

So the question is, is it ok for SQL server to be running at crazy high memory usage, or should I decrease the max memory usage? And if I decrease, what should I decrease it to? And if I decrease, won't that affect the responsiveness of the server?

Again, I'm new to the whole thing. I appreciate any responses forthcoming.

Thanks!

Re: sqlservr.exe memory usage keeps climbing

SQL Server (like Exchange) is a memory hog and will make an attempt to use all available free memory, but give it up relatively gracefully when required.

Unless it is causing other problems, I would not worry about it

More info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321363
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reference to the article. I see there though that it should only be taking up the physical memory, but not the paging file as well, no?

Comment

What are your RAM and PF settings, also what OS and SP is it on?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          What are your RAM and PF settings, also what OS and SP is it on?
          8GB physical RAM assigned (it's a VM), Custom PF - min of 2GB max of 4gb, Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2. It's strange though because in the Task Manager it reports that the system is using 7.56GB of the PF (out of seemingly 8GB). Physical memory is currently showing 8GB Total and 210MB free.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Working...
          X