Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQL Server 2008 R2 Web edition connection error Connection string not valid (ID 87)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL Server 2008 R2 Web edition connection error Connection string not valid (ID 87)

Hello all,
    This is driving me nuts. I just recently installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Web edition onto my 2008 R2 Foundation edition server. I there are two very strange things going on here, and I wonder if that's what's contributing to this. After installing, I went to SSMS to log into the server as SA for the first time. I had chosen Mixed mode authentication due to the fact that a web application that's going to be installed on the server needs it. Upon logging into the instance (the only instance that should exist on the server, but strangely there is an express instance there as well), called mssqlserver, I received the following error:
    TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to Katherine-serv\mssqlserver.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 87)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdN...7&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I have an idea that this means that the only solution to this would be to reinstall it, considering I have no way into the server to modify the password, right? I'd like to avoid that if I could, so if there's something I don't know, please let me know. And despite what the error says, I was not trying to remote into the instance of the server. I was only trying to connect to it from the local machine. Thanks for any feedback you have, and I really do appreciate anything you can provide, and in turn, if you need more information from me, please ask for it.

Chromebuster

Re: SQL Server 2008 R2 Web edition connection error Connection string not valid (ID 8

It looks like you installed a default instance. You don't need to call the named instance like that, just call it by the servername. So instead of connecting to Katherine-serv\mssqlserver... just connect to Katherine-serv.
    Sean McCown, SQL Server MVP

See my FREE SQL Server training videos at:
    http://www.MidnightDBA.com

Blog Author of:
    Database Underground -- http://infoworld.com/blogs/sean-mccown
    DBA Rant http://dbarant.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: SQL Server 2008 R2 Web edition connection error Connection string not valid (ID 8

Very strange. Then why is the instance name automatically displayed by SSMS when you first try to log in? But I can certainly tell what the ID 87 message was about. Part of it had to do with the fact that the caps lock key had been pushed by these roaming fingers of mine while I was trying to type. But thanks for that explanation. But I'm also curious why there was also an express instance showing in SSmS when I know for sure that all previous express installations had been removed, folders and reg keys and all? I find that quite odd. Could that have been because I somehow checked both SSMS complete and basic during the installation, so the express version went in there as well, though it couldn't be used since Web Edition is higher?

Comment

removing the instance name resolved the same error for me in a merge replication problem.

Log file shows error (which evaporated when I just used the server name):

2011-05-27 19:07:57.504 Connecting to Subscriber 'ENDEAVOR\MSSQLSERVER'
        2011-05-27 19:07:57.504 Connecting to OLE DB Subscriber at datasource: 'ENDEAVOR\MSSQLSERVER', location: '', catalog: 'mgmt2', providerstring: '' using provider 'SQLNCLI10'
        2011-05-27 19:08:12.507 Percent Complete: 0
        2011-05-27 19:08:12.507 Category:AGENT
        Source: ENDEAVOR\MSSQLSERVER
        Number: 20084
        Message: The process could not connect to Subscriber 'ENDEAVOR\MSSQLSERVER'.
        2011-05-27 19:08:12.507 Percent Complete: 0
        2011-05-27 19:08:12.507 Category:SQLSERVER
        Source: ENDEAVOR\MSSQLSERVER
        Number: 87
        Message: SQL Server Network Interfaces: Connection string is not valid [87].

Comment

Interesting. Where did that log come from?

Comment

Working...
          X