X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database backups and recovery methods

We have SharePoint 2007 and SQL 2008

Currently we have maintenance plans setup to backup all databases

For the two main databases ‘SharepointIntranet’ and ‘SharepointConfig’ we have set to Full recovery but we are finding the transaction logs are filling up rather quickly.

Originally we had the log configured to the default (2.1tb if I recall) and as such they continued to grow, we ran out of space and realised this was not ideal.

We’ve since cleared down the logs, set them to 1gb, but are again seeing them grow and reacting to this as and when, again this is not the ideal situation.

So here’s my question.

Since we perform full backups of the DB’s which performed every night, is there really a need for full recovery?

Can we somehow force the transaction logs to stop growing (recycle)

I’m thinking maybe this timetime

(full backup) –> (transaction log purged) -> (transaction log required for next period covering working day before the next full backup is performed)

Hope that makes sense if achievable

Re: Database backups and recovery methods

make sure that your nightly backup does a full truncate of the logs when it occurs

I have also definitely noticed though, that Sharepoint chews through disk space for transaction logs like nothin else
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

From what I've read truncate log is not supported in sql2008

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
        For the two main databases ‘SharepointIntranet’ and ‘SharepointConfig’ we have set to Full recovery but we are finding the transaction logs are filling up rather quickly.

Either switch the database recovery model to simple or start doing log backups.

-vP

Comment

Thanks chaps, so I guess if I change the database recovery to simple I'll only be able to go back to the last known full backup of the database, which we perform every night.

If I want to retain transactions between these times I'll need to perform log backups and truncate.

Correct?

Comment

Simple means you can only restore from the last Full Backup.

If the data is important you should probably stay with FULL.

That said, you can limit LOG growth by backing up the Logs periodically.
            IE: Instead of "Backup Database ...." You use "Backup Log ...."

Good article: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...server/5034808

Hobie

Comment

Working...
            X