Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwriting backup

Alrighty SQL'ers!!

I currently have to backup jobs one incremental and one full.... Currently each time a backup is created it stores a new file within the backup folder. What I would like to achieve is the backups overwrite - can I find the setting to do this - can I ell...

Any info is appreciated - ta muchly!!

Re: Overwriting backup

We don't know what you're using to take backups.

Keep in mind that having an incremental backup without the full backup that preceded it is of limited value.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yeah fair point... I think I have sorted it now. I set the backup to expire after 2 days - so this "should" remove the backup that exists - is that correct?

Thanks

Comment

Impossible to say since we still don't know what backup product you're using...
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

ok... Sorry.

Currently I have a maint plan setup for sql to backup 4 x incremental and 1 x full to a folder locally on the server.

Once that completes I get backupexec (installed on an additional server) to backup the sql backups to an external drive.

Until now I have been manually deleting the sql local backups the day after the backupexec backs the files up. I have now set the backups to expire after 2 days....

A better explanation?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X