Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to safely decommision unused DB instances ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to safely decommision unused DB instances ?

Hi All,

I'm in the process of upgrading and migrating my server into SQL Server 2008 x64 in new server instance from 2005 32 bit.

Is there any way to find unused SQL Server 2005 databases ?

or any SQL script if possible to determine if any DB is used at all.

Thanks.

Re: How to safely decommision unused DB instances ?

You can query the master.dbo.sysprocess table and look for user activity. Create a job that queries the table and set Sql Agent to email alert you the results if someone is connected.

-vP

Comment

Originally posted by vonPryz View Post
      You can query the master.dbo.sysprocess table and look for user activity. Create a job that queries the table and set Sql Agent to email alert you the results if someone is connected.

-vP
      thanks for the quick reply mate, however I would like to know if there is any database that is safe to delete or archived after more than 6 months old not accessed.

Comment

in part, this is a configuration management issue - you should have details within the environment of what the databases belong to, and who uses them
        \
        you can then speak to the relevant business unit, and say "do you still need this"

alternatively, just switch it off and see who screams. we had a server admin used to do that, with servers due to be decommed. if we didn't know who owned them, we'd snd emails to the people we thought they belonged to, and if we had no response, we'd just turn them off.

people usually scream if they still need something
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          in part, this is a configuration management issue - you should have details within the environment of what the databases belong to, and who uses them
          \
          you can then speak to the relevant business unit, and say "do you still need this"

alternatively, just switch it off and see who screams. we had a server admin used to do that, with servers due to be decommed. if we didn't know who owned them, we'd snd emails to the people we thought they belonged to, and if we had no response, we'd just turn them off.

people usually scream if they still need something
          thanks for the tips unfortunately I'm not dare to do so since this is within my probation period of working in new company, by doing so (turn off the DB) I'll be fired then (-_-)"

Comment

So ask your boss how to proceed. Explain the alternatives (monitor DB for a while, then shut down if no activity OR just shut down and listen for complaints OR do something else.) Write brief action plans that consider pros and cons for each approach. This shows your boss that you 1) have pondered the question 2) are aware of how to resolve the problem 3) are willing to ask second opinions in case of doubt. All good traits for an employee.

-vP

Comment

Working...
            X