DB engine changing file permissions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DB engine changing file permissions.

We've been experiencing a large number of calls recently because staff are having difficulty addressing an issue caused by MS SQL 2005 Express.

Basically the situation is that the SQL Server is resetting the file permissions for DB files when the users detatch the DB.

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...SQL.90%29.aspx this is a security feature.

What it is, for me at least, is a pain in the backside.

Having set the permissions for the DB files the way I, as the administrator, need them to be it's incredibly irritating to be receiving a stream of calls to have to reset them because the users do not have admin rights, for the obvious reasons.

Does anyone know of any way to prevent the DB engine from changing the permissions on the files?

Re: DB engine changing file permissions.

Uh, why do the users detach the databases in the first hand anyway?

-vP

Comment

Re: DB engine changing file permissions.

Originally posted by vonPryz View Post
      Uh, why do the users detach the databases in the first hand anyway?
      The short answer is that once these databases are no longer being actively worked on, they must be retained for a number of years in archive.

In the past these users had admin rights on their PCs, so they could detach the DB and copy/move the files to the appropriate location for archiving. Now they don't have admin rights on their PCs (although they have admin rights on their local DB) but there is no way to get the procedure changed. (I've tried).

There's a lot more to the procedure than what I've outlined above ... but that's the gist.

Comment

Working...
      X