No announcement yet.

VMWare install for SQL setup, dcpromo fix?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare install for SQL setup, dcpromo fix?

I presently am setting up a virtual Server 2008 setup for an SQL db (using VMware workstation)... it is the only purpose for the Server install and the only thing it will run.

When I went to setup the SQL I kept getting an error that the OS was not an acceptable OS for this version of SQL.

After digging around online i found that running dcpromo, or rather, fixing dns via dcpromo might fix the issue. Sure enough, it did allow me to setup the SQl without errors.

Have I done the wrong thing?

I found a forum posting here where many users suggest that they NEVER put an SQL on a DC. But if not, then how do I get SQl to run, what was not ok in my server setup that dcpromo fixed?

Last edited by Radmacdaddy; 20th December 2010, 18:41. Reason: forgot to mention...

Re: VMWare install for SQL setup, dcpromo fix?

I'm moving this to the SQL 2008 forum for a better response, but can you post the exact error message you get, also exactly what version of Server 2008 you are using?

Definitely avoid putting SQL on a DC for security reasons!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Anyone have any bewares for me?

To help preserve the integrity of the Active Directory database if a power loss or another failure were to occur, the Active Directory directory service performs unbuffered writes and tries to disable the disk write cache on volumes hosting the Active Directory database and log files. Active Directory also attempts to work in this manner when installed in a virtual hosting environment.

So the performance of SQL will be worse on a DC

And for security reasons like Ossion just mentioned.

What was your SQL install error. What SQL version are you trying to install. I normally encounter SQL error when installing an SQL cluster, but a single server wont be a problem.

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]