X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL 2008 database location,

Hello,

May I ask You for help?
    I going to install new SQL server on the new hardware.
    On old server I have 4 databases located in the same folder.
    I want to put 2 databases in one folder (first partition), and next 2 in other folder (second partition).
    Can I set up 2 different location at installation process?? Or should do it after installation?

Second question, Can I change instance name after database restore?. I want to have the same name.

Regards
    michal

Are these the system databases? If so, they will all go into the location you specify for databases during setup, but you can move them afterwards

According to MSDN changing the instance name is not supported, but apparently you can do it (https://sqldbpool.com/2008/09/03/how...instance-name/)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Ok. thx for answer.
      But as You said, i can change location... Can I put for example 2 databases in one partition and next 2 databases in other partition ?

regards
      m

Comment

WHat databases are you wanting to move?
        If it is the system ones, do you really need to?

The main performance gain you can get is separating logs from databases onto separate disk arrays
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

i want to change location of the ERP database.

michal

Comment

Yes, no problems in putting multiple databases in multiple locations.
            However, review guidance and best practice on separating databases and logs, and investigate how many disk spindles you have available (NOT partitions) before you start moving things.
            The biggest performance improvements are from separating databases from logs and placing the logs on the fastest possible (but still highly available) disk arrays.

Basically, if you don't know exactly what you are doing, and the potential consequences, do NOT change anything - in SQL server, the potential to FUBAR things is much higher than in other products.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Everything completed successfully.
              Thanks for help.

Comment

Working...
              X