Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total amount of db's in SQL server 2005 express

Hi Guys,

We have an installation with several SQL server 2005 express instances (5x).

Here are my questions:

How many db's can be used (or is advised) per instance.

I know SQL express 2005 can use up to 1Gb of memory but when installing 5x SQL express can i use 5Gb?

The largest db on one of the instances is 600Mb (average is 100Mb).

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Br,
    Norbert

Re: Total amount of db's in SQL server 2005 express

Dont know if this helps -- doesnt directly answer your question but implication is no limit
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2...-features.aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Total amount of db's in SQL server 2005 express

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345154(SQL.90).aspx#sseover_topic4

This states, 16 is max number of instances. Note the 1GB limit is the max amount of memory the buffer pool can have!!! The other features of SQL that use memory outside of the buffer pool need to be accounted for as well.

If you have 5 instances each instance's buffer pool COULD take up to 1GB of RAM but no more. However the memory used for connections, locks, and so on are outside of that 1GB limit. This is why you see databases in Express set AUTO_CLOSE to ON by default.

The number of databases per instance is limited only by performance, you can attach as many as you want. However, eventually you will run out of resources to maintain those databases.

Comment

Working...
      X