Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Outlook be used for calendar, etc but NOT to send email through Exchange?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Outlook be used for calendar, etc but NOT to send email through Exchange?

We have:

server - Microsoft SBS 2003 with Exchange
    workstations - Win2kpro with Outlook 2003

domain is private, not registered ( *.local )

We would like to be able to share calendars and an address book. When exchange is used for email, our ISP bounces emails back due to us having an unregistered domain ( *.local ). We do not run our own email server, only use the accounts provided to us by the ISP, as they are plenty for our small company.

Is it possible for Outlook to use Exchange for the calendar and to share contacts/addresses, but NOT use the Exchange server as the outgoing email server? I have tried listing the ISPs server as the default and also listing the Exchange server (but not using it for outgoing email). This seems to take care of the rejected email problem, since emails aren't going out through Exchange, however, after any reboots, Exchange shows up as the default, once again giving bounced emails.

thank you for any suggestions.

Timothy Crews

Re: Can Outlook be used for calendar, etc but NOT to send email through Exchange?

Setup your Exchange account in Outlook. Add a POP account then set it as your default account. Change the "deliver new email" setting to your Exchange account. If you already have mail in your POP folders move the contents of the folders into the appropriate folder POP Inbox -> Exchange Inbox etc. Finally, delete the folders for the POP account - all new mail will appear in your Exchange folders.

New messages will arrive from the POP account in the Exchange folders, the default sending account when composing new messages will be your POP account settings. This will allow you to use the shared calendar, and your mail will archive in Exchange so you can also use OWA. If your mail client is always open and you've configured it to automatically send/receive OWA will remain relatively up to date.

This isn't really a recommended setup but it works.

Outlook should look similar to the following:

Last edited by ahinson; 28th August 2006, 22:19.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Can Outlook be used for calendar, etc but NOT to send email through Exchange?

Your suggestion is how I was trying to set Outlook up previously, however rebooting the computer causes Outlook to set the Exchange server as the default, which causes bounces whenever I send email to anyone outside of Comcast (our ISP)

..."comcast.net requires valid sender domain"

It would appear that they see the server's domain, and don't accept it, as it's private instead of a valid public domain.

Comment

Originally posted by CrewsT
        Your suggestion is how I was trying to set Outlook up previously, however rebooting the computer causes Outlook to set the Exchange server as the default, which causes bounces whenever I send email to anyone outside of Comcast (our ISP)

..."comcast.net requires valid sender domain"

It would appear that they see the server's domain, and don't accept it, as it's private instead of a valid public domain.
        You must be doing something wrong because I use it like this all day everyday at work. We use Exchange as our mail server and I've setup Outlook to use Exchange and check my personal POP account - which I use to send all outbound messages with no problem. It always defaults to my POP account regardless of reboot, closing, etc.

This is Outlook 2003 btw.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It works perfectly fine as long as the computer's not rebooted, and I expected it to continue to function correctly. However, on several different computers, I have the same problem.

I will try again, in case I missed something on my earlier attempts.

I appologize for taking so long to reply, I'm getting married in just over a week, so I have a million things on my to-do list along with sorting out Outlook/Exchange/POP3

thank you for your help so far
          Timothy Crews
          (CCNA in need of an MCSE)

Comment

I found this page: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/defaultacct.htm with information that would seem to be what I'm looking for. However, I have tried option 2 (registry key) and that does not work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            A registry entry can be used to prevent the SBS login script from changing the transport order:

Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Client Setup
            Value Name: NoTransportOrder
            Value Type: REG_DWORD
            Value: 1
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will try the other options as I am able, but does anyone know why the above key wouldn't work for me? Does the attempted solution point to an additional problem that I have not yet seen?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Timothy

Comment

I have a similar issue with Outlook 2003 and Exchange (SBS) 2003 server. Posted this on the Exchange forum also, but no help there.

A customer is using Outlook to read (send/receive) mail via POP/IMAP accounts and they are using Exchange only for calendar operations (do not ask why).

Outlook is configured with two accounts, one pop account and one Exchange account in the same profile. The pop account is set to be the primary account and to my understanding it should take care of all mail trafic configured this way.

But. There are times when sending mail (doesnt matter is it an "in house" address or foreign) it, instead of going out via the pop account, goes to Exchange server and stucks in the queue. Stucks in the queue cos its not intended for the mail to ever go in the Exchange server, and there are no connectors etc configured.

The default mail account does not change, if i look from Outlook it shows that the POP account is the primary mail account.

The thing i would like to know, is why? When i create new mail, i make sure the pop account is selected as the account to be used, and 90% it works corretly. Then there are these times, it does not. What is cousing Outlook to send the mail to the Exchange server, and are there ways to prevent this from happening?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X