No announcement yet.

CAL's for Outlook

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAL's for Outlook

We have purchased 250 CAL's to enable us to use Exchange 2003, Now my understanding is that as we have purchased a CAL for Outlook 2003 we are entitled to install and run Outlook 2003, (we are currently licensed for Office XP)

My plan is to only update the laptop users to Outlook 2003 to enable them to use RPC over HTTPS instead of burning a VPN license.

My question is where do we get the license code from, the license code we rec'd with our Exchange Enterprise was for the Exchange software only. It did come with a CD for Outlook 2003 but says "product key required" When i speak to the company i bought it from they said ring Microsoft. When i ring India, they tell me to contact my reseller!!! ARGHHHH

Has any one ever used a CAL license to install the CAL version of Outlook and how did they get the code.

any advice appreciated.

Honda GL1200SEI
    Last edited by Richie; 23rd January 2011, 09:45.

Re: CAL's for Outlook

IMHO just ask Microsoft.
    Their guide makes it clear that you have permission to use Outlook so they must give you media and a key!

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: CAL's for Outlook

Whenever I have received a media kit for Exchange, the Outlook 2003 key was on the back of the envelope that had the Outlook 2003 CD in it.
      If you didn't get that, then you need to get your reseller to speak to the Microsoft Fulfilment house (who send out the media kits) and send out a new kit with a correct key.
      Although I do think the key is the same on all media kits for a licensing purchase. It is also a key that doesn't require activation, so the key could be read out to you over the phone.

If this was a retail purchase, then it should have been in the box.

Either way, this is something that the supplier of the software needs to deal with - instead of sending you back to Microsoft. They haven't fulfilled their contract.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.