No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapi32.dll

I am getting ready to migrate a large network from Novell GroupWise 6.5 to Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. All workstations are W2K SP 4 and WXP SP2. For a period of about two weeks, GroupWise and Outlook have to co-exist on the same workstation for all users. They will need full access to both systems for this period of time. I have solved most problems with co-existence but one persists.

GroupWise requires that the windows messaging system be installed for the GroupWise client address book to work properly. When windows messaging is installed, it puts a file called mapi32.dll dated October 14, 1996 into the c:\windows\system32 directory. When Outlook 2003 detects that this version of the file is in the system32 directory, it brings up an error message that reads: “A recently installed program may cause Microsoft Office or other e-mail-enabled programs to function improperly. Outlook can resolve this conflict without affecting the program that originally caused the problem. Do you want Outlook to resolve this problem? “ If you click “no” nothing happens and everything is pretty until the message comes up again. If you click “yes” Outlook runs an executable called fixmapi.exe which replaces mapi32.dll with an updated version dated 2001. When this happens, the GroupWise address book will no longer function and can only be fixed by re-installing both applications. Clicking “no” causes no problems because Outlook doesn’t even use this file. It uses one in a completely different directory. I’ve tried renaming/deleting and modifying the fixmapi.exe file but it immediately recreates itself.

You would think that end users in their Outlook training could simply be trained to click “no” instead of "yes" for a period of two weeks until their GroupWise client can be uninstalled. However, upper management has deemed this absolutely unacceptable.

So, I need to find a way to keep this message from coming up. I suspect this message is a result of Office 2003 self healing. Can anyone help me with a solution? I just need to turn it off. I’ve spent many hours on this problem.

Many thanks!!!

Re: mapi32.dll

I don't know of a way to disable the self-healing ability of the Outlook but it may be related to Windows File Protection, try disabling it as a test.

Also, C:\Windows\System32\Mapi32.dll is used by windows and its Send to -> Mail Recipient, granted this is not Outlook directly however if the version in this location is wrong it will fail to launch Outlook when selected.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **