Unable to open Archive.pst from network drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to open Archive.pst from network drive

Within our company we encourage users to archive off there mail from exchange mailbox to an archive.pst file on there personal network drive. This has been running for 12months without problems. I now have a user how is starting to have issues. He is running XPpro sp2 with office 2k. He has a 1.3gb archive.pst file on his network share with he has been using fault free for months and months, but now it wont open.

Starting from scratch i go to open a new pst file and the egg timer comes on for ages then a popup window says "properties for this information service must be defined proir to use" i click ok then it says " an error occured that prevented the file f:\email\archive.pst from being saved. Close then restart all mail enabled applications." I do this and on trying again i get the same error messages.

Any help/clues as to why this is happening would be very much appreciated.

thanking you all in advance.

Rob

Re: Unable to open Archive.pst from network drive

What happens if you copy the PST to the local machine and try it from there?

Comment

Hi, i've just moved it to the local pc, and it did open but took about 3-4mins.

We moved the psts to the server for the unforseen reasons of users losing or breaking their pcs/laptops. Therefore we'd have the files safe and could get them back for the user if such an issue occured.

I did think about having the file local and syncronising it with the server, but you cannot sysnconise psts, mdb etc, or not so far as i know???

Not sure where to go with this now??

Cheers

Rob.

Comment

Unfortuantley if users are opening large PST files accross the network then they will unfortunately run into problems with speed and the lenght of time it takes to open the file.

Has the user encountered any problems with the PST file?? i.e. It not shutting down correctly.

What you could do is put the onus on the user to backup the PST to the server every week thus ensuring they will oly lose 1 weeks worth of e-mail data.

Comment

This i feel is a suitable easy fix. I have explained it to the user, what they have to do and how they have to do it. It took a little time but i think i finally got through to them.

thanks for all the help!!

Rob.

Comment

Why not write up a document utlining what they need to do and in what order. This way there is a procedure in place for this and canbe referred to again if need be.

Comment

Good idea, thanks again!!

Comment

No problem

Comment

Sorry to butt in, I'm new around here.

In my experience, working with PSTs across the network increases the likelihood that they will become corrupt at some point. This is especially true with very large ones (>1GB).

Where I work, backups of network servers are run daily. I encourage our users to keep the files stored locally when working with them, only copying them up to the network temporarily so they can be backed up. The next day, they delete it off the network, but the file is still on the previous night's backup. This way, they can work with the files in relative safety and still have a fallback in case something happens.

Comment

Its probably also a good idea to have smaller archives rather than one massive file.

Maybe educate users into manually archiving each month rather than letting outlook handle it?

Tom
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X