DISABLE "open other users folder"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DISABLE "open other users folder"

We need to find out how to STOP users from being able to open others folders through File/Open other users folder in Outlook 2010. We are on Exchange 2010 and this has become an issue. All we can find it how to do it, not how to stop it from being possible. HELP!!! Thanks!

Re: DISABLE "open other users folder"

Please don't double post - I have deleted your identical thread in the Exchange forum.

Normally, stop giving users permission on other mailboxes, so they won't be able to open other users folders, but of course users can still give permissions to others. You can investigate some of the options to remove permissions:
    https://www.google.co.uk/#q=exchange...ox+permissions

You could investigate the group policy templates to control Office 2010 and see if there is a setting that will remove the "open other folder" option:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...ffice.14).aspx
    There appears to be a way of removing items from the Office Ribbon:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...ffice.14).aspx
    Last edited by Ossian; 21st February 2014, 20:46.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

1. Sorry, we don't know if this is an Outlook or Exchange issue - hence posting in both forums
      2. I will check out the links
      3. We never granted anyone permission to do this explicitly so we are kind of at a loss to remove - if that makes sense
      4. We are talking about accessing through the File/Open other users folder link - I don't see one on the ribbon so that shouldn't be an issue at least
      5. Thanks!

Comment

I thought it was an outlook issue (changing the UI) hence leaving this copy - we can move the thread later if needed. The reason for a single copy is to avoid replies getting lost between two threads.

I thin the powershell cmdlet will remove user granted permissions as well as admin ones, but haven't tested it. You could also look into RBAC and if users can be blocked there.

AFAIK the Backstage (file menu) can be modified like the ribbon - the link is about customising the UI - I referred to the ribbon, but should have said "UI"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X