Outlook 2003 and 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 and 2007

I purchased a laptop that has Windows 7 and I installed Office 2007. I need to be able to get my contacts, which I believe is .pst file from my old computer which is Windows XP and Outlook 2003. What is the best way to to get this from Outlook 2003 and into Outlook 2007 on the new computer?

Re: Outlook 2003 and 2007

Copy it from one computer to the other and then import it into Outlook.

Comment

Right now I have the pst in my documents, not sure why I put it there, been too long and not sure if it needs to be there. I can copy the pst file to my stick to transfer but how do I import into outlook 2007. Also the current pst file is 551,569 KB pretty large. Is there a way to start a new pst but yet still have the contact and emails from the old pst available.
      Last edited by sheila; 20th September 2013, 04:37.

Comment

In Outlook 2007 go to File... Import and Export then select "import from another program or file", then select "Personal Folder File (.pst)", then browse to the PST file, then select whatever options you want. Without getting into all of the options here, you should be able to import just the Contacts folder.

Also, a 500MB PST file is pretty small. I've seen 10GB PST files.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Also, a 500MB PST file is pretty small. I've seen 10GB PST files.
          500MB is piddly compared to some of our users who have 10GB and above.

My OST file was 20GB in size LOL.

Comment

Thank you!
            Getting ready to import the PST file as you explained; however I have not setup the email in Outlook 2007 yet. Should that be done before I import the pst file? Also do you recommend putting the pst file in another folder other than where microsoft recommends it or does it not matter?

Comment

IMHO yes, set up the email first in case linking the email to the existing PST corrupts it - you can change the mail delivery location later.

And yes, keep it somewhere a bit closer than the depths of the user profile where no-one can find it!
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                My OST file was 20GB in size LOL.
                but what the hell you got in there????
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks and it worked perfect.
                  Next question. My son purchase a laptop with Windows 8, wow totally different look have a hard time finding things lol I installed Office 2007 no problem. I now need to take his PST file from outlook Office 2003 and install in Outlook 2007, same process I am assuming. Setup the email accounts and put the exiting PST file in another folder. He likes to have each year in a PST file is there a way to do that but yet still see all the years PST files? I thought he could have one PST file and make folders for each year but at some point it will get really large. Any suggestions?

Comment

You can have multiple PST files open in Outlook without any problems -- if email is delivered direct to a PST, it can only go into one, but the others are still visible and searchable.

Open them in the same way -- it is a feature of Office, not of Windows 8, so once you have found Outlook you proceed as previously.
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

So I need to setup the mail account first and that will start a new PST file, correct?
                      Then for the old PST, which I am assuming I need to call something else, if that is in a different folder how will outlook see that PST?

Comment

Working...
                      X