Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outlook XP (settings roam with userprofile)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook XP (settings roam with userprofile)

Hi there

I have Roaming profiles setup on 2003 AD but i was wondering if anyone knows a way of creating script that will anable the settings to follow a user and be installed on any machine that the user logs onto.

The setting would need to include basic POP3 mailbox settings, eg username password.

Thanks for anyhelp received

By using roaming profiles thats exactly what you get, users preferences following the user around???

Your POP3 statement suggests your talking about email though? Can you be more specific?

Only if it's Outlook and you have installed it using the Office Admin kit, you can set %USERNAME% in the settings to create a profile automatically when someone opens Outlook for the first time.

Post again if you want more info.... or if I'm barking up the wrong tree!.
    If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Comment

Outlook settings (mail account & psts) should automatically be part of a roaming profile on Win2K or XP. If you are using 98 they will not follow the user and you will need a script.

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Outlook XP (settings roam with userprofile)

I have a similar problem. Outlook settings (pst files) are typically stored in

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

which does not travel with my roaming profiles. In fact, nothing in Local Settings travels with them. How do I change the store directory to a location that will travel (i.e. - My Documents)? I am running XP Pro with Outlook 2000. No exchange server.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
          I have a similar problem. Outlook settings (pst files) are typically stored in

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

which does not travel with my roaming profiles. In fact, nothing in Local Settings travels with them. How do I change the store directory to a location that will travel (i.e. - My Documents)? I am running XP Pro with Outlook 2000. No exchange server.
          This post do NOT relate to this thread topic. You have already asked this question 2 days ago, so this is considered a double post. On top of that you have tried to hi-jack another members thread.

If I was you, I would edit the above post to remove it BEFORE DanielP sees it.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I didn't intentionally try to hijack this thread so don't be so hostile about it. If you want a contribution to the original topic here it is: I agree with paul_uk. Using the Office Admin Kit will produce the results he desires.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
              I didn't intentionally try to hijack this thread so don't be so hostile about it. If you want a contribution to the original topic here it is: I agree with paul_uk. Using the Office Admin Kit will produce the results he desires.
              Jason, we're trying to run a community here. If you cannot abide to our very simple and logical rules then you are welcome to find a different place for your support issues.

Banned for 2 weeks. If after that time you choose to stay with us you're welcome to do so. If not, then have a nice day.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X