Protect Signature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protect Signature

Does anyone know if it is possible to protect a signature once it's been inserted into an email so people cannot edit/delete content.

Re: Protect Signature

For what version of Outlook? Running on what version of Windows? Is the workstation a member of the domain?

You might be able to do this with Group Policy. On the other hand, if you want central control of signatures, maybe you could look at something like Exclaimer.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If you are using exchange 2007 or above, you can insert a signature centrally using a Hub Transport rule
      Alternatively there is 3rd party software (PolicyPatrol, Exclaimer...) to do it at your mail server

Finally you could write a "transport sink" for Exchange 2003 to do it for you

As requested, more information please...
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We're running Exchange 2003/Outlook 2007 and currently building a .vbscript to insert a corporate signature using Objdoc and locking down the signature area itself. Unfortunately this doesn't stop the content being removed once its inserted into a new email. Maybe there another command I can add to the script to protect the content

This might be a shorterm solution as we're also looking to upgrade to Exchange 2010 which could offer more benefits.

For the time being we don't want to introduce another application so the script seemed the simplest solution.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
          Unfortunately this doesn't stop the content being removed once its inserted into a new email. Maybe there another command I can add to the script to protect the content
          Unless you can find some way of making Outlook append this to emails as it sends them (which wouldn't be the simple solution), the best way to do this would be a server-side component of some form. Ultimately, you need to be trusting your users to use the resources you give them sensibly - if necessary, train them as to what is expected of them and what is considered acceptable or unacceptable behaviour. I assume from your previous post that you have had problems with users removing or modifying the content of their email footer?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Create a personalised stationary (background paper) and embed the Signature in the stationary as a watermark. Crank down the opacity of the watermark to it isn't transparent but solid and it can't be changed without removing the stationary it was sent on.

Would be a real pain as each user will need their own personalised stationary.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Unless you can find some way of making Outlook append this to emails as it sends them (which wouldn't be the simple solution), the best way to do this would be a server-side component of some form. Ultimately, you need to be trusting your users to use the resources you give them sensibly - if necessary, train them as to what is expected of them and what is considered acceptable or unacceptable behaviour. I assume from your previous post that you have had problems with users removing or modifying the content of their email footer?
              That's my thought also, because it's using a command to utilise Word I think I have little choice.

Haven't had problems, it's just you can't always stop the odd person fiddling and I like to look at the options beforehand.

I guess this will primarily be a stop gap while we evaluate our long-term options

Comment

Working...
              X