Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering ost application suggestions please

Outlook 2003
    Friend of mine lost access to it's old domain ost folders after ISP technician visite.. Technician changed doamin to workgroup and created a new account and for some reason no restore points to pevious system available.
    When looking for solution - there seems to be a lot of similar ost to pst converter downloads in the web.
    After evaluating some, I tend to believe most of these are based on freeware, which is sold by 3rd party.

Any suggestions, where to download the fully functional ost to pst?
    Thanks!

Re: Recovering ost application suggestions please

Is your friend going to be reconnet to the Domain again? If so then the OST will be recreated when Exchange is setup in Outlook.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm sorry not to mention, but this domain isn't available for reconnecting.
      Thefore I'm looking for help here.

It seems like there weren't Windows XP restore points during domain period or these have been deleted after switcing to workgroup.

I'm afraid there is not left any other way but to convert ost to pst.

Comment

All OST to PSTs I have encountered are definitely "pay for recovery" -- they will show you the emails but won't recover them until you get the (moderately expensive) pay version.

I have heard, but cannot find a reference, there is a couple of hex edits required to change an OST into a PST -- same format and content, obviously. If someone can follow that up, I will appreciate it :P: Obviously do this with a copy of the OST, not the original, which should be kept in a very safe place!

If that doesnt work, it may be a case of biting the bullet (or the $$$$) and getting an app.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

After testing some evaluation versions, I got the feeling that it's a 3rd party software which has been sold under slightly different names and different GUI.
          It may be as well, that ost to pst is a freeware just sold by group of arrogant "businessmen" who don't have any right to the software.
          I have met such money making business model several times until finally finding the absolutely free source.
          Last edited by orchestra; 6th November 2011, 15:34.

Comment

If you find a (legal) freeware one, please post here -- I, for one, will definitely add it to my toolbox.
            I agree, most of the ones look suspiciously similar (a bit like PW recovery tools)

Oh, most forensic software will let you extract emails from OSTs, but the price is prohibitive!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X