Outlook 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003

Hello, I'm new to this site. Is this the right place to ask a question about Outlook 2003? After years of using Outlook Express, I had to change to Outlook, and am finding it much harder to use. My main question is how to arrange emails in personal folders. In Outlook Express those emails were strictly by date, not by sender. However in Outlook I see a long string of emails sent BY me, followed by ones sent TO me. I need them by date. How can I change these?

Re: Outlook 2003

Yes, this is the best place, or in the general office forum

Normally, click on a column heading to sort

Also normally, emails you sent go into a Sent Items folder but because you have come from Outlook Express it may be different. I suggest you locate the Sent Items folder and move all the emails BY you there. Then look for the date/time column and click on it. Alternatively find the VIEW menu and modify/customise current view, where you can select the columns to sort on.

Sorry, I am now on Outlook 2010 so don't have detailed instructions for you.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think you solved it! I generally put emails I send, as well as emails I receive, (to and from Friend A) in one of my personal folders titled Friend A, so that I can read the whole 'conversation' in order by date. I have been doing that in Outlook (as well as when I had OE), but they had all the 'from me' emails together and then way below, the 'to me' emails. However, on your suggestion, looking in View, I saw there, under Arrange By a check next to view by Groups. I unchecked that then looked at one of the folders and voilá they were arranged the way I wanted them. THANK YOU!

Comment

Now I have a new problem. I was trying to forward an email and I didn't realize how large it was. It's been sitting in the Outbox for some time. I'm trying to delete it, but it won't delete. The hourglass shows up and nothing happens.

Comment

I assume it is in your Outbox?

Take Outlook Offline (crash out of outlook if needed) then delete it
          At the moment it is sending so cannot delete at the same time.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you. I found, as you said, that it can't delete because it's trying to send. When I tried to close Outlook, it asked me if I was sure (or words to that effect) because it was trying to send. I said yes (to close). After it was closed (and I had it offline) that time it opened in Inbox, so I went to Outbox and was able to delete.

Comment

Working...
            X