No announcement yet.

one-off email profile creation, Outlook 2k3

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one-off email profile creation, Outlook 2k3

I'm hoping someone here might have the answer.

I have to deploy PC's once in awhile to a remote user via his/her manager. We have strict corporate rules regarding the divulging of pswd info (as it should be), and I don't really want to get into the whole issue a new one / reset it type of thing.
    I currently setup the end-users's PC with all the applications that they could / would need. My issue is with Outlook 2003 SP2.
    It goes something like this...

I deploy the computer to the end-users manager. They deliver the PC to the end-user. The end user cannot access his email easily, as they have to call and enter a ticket to get an admin to contact them and walk them through setting up their initial email profile.

Very wasteful...

I am trying to figure out a way that I could deploy the PC already having the users exchange server info and mailbox info entered, so when the user logs in, his/her profile would already be ready to use their domain credentials for authorization with no further input from the end-user.
    Did I describe that okay?

I do not login as the user at any point when configuring the PC. Office is installed on the admin account and then auto installs on the users account when run.

Any ideas? Tips?

Re: one-off email profile creation, Outlook 2k3

The short answer is to use the Office Resource Kit and create a .mst for your Office installation.
    You can configure loads of different aspects of Office, including an Exchange server and %username% to automatically create the users profile when he/she starts the app for the first time.

I like to install a 'administrative install' of Office in a central location and then use ORK to modify the installation. This way I can push the install either to a computer (assign) or a user (publish) through AD GPO's.