How to check if Office interops are installed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check if Office interops are installed

I'm using a 3rd party installer to create a setup package for my custom DotNet app but need to know if Office2003, Office2007 and Office2010 interops (specifically for Outlook & Excel) are installed on the target machine.

I tried looking for the interop files in the Windows\Assembly folder but that seems to be a virtual folder which does not really house the files.

Is there a registry key I can search to see if the interops are installed?

Note I am NOT after the Office version, but checking whether the interops are installed. Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: How to check if Office interops are installed

I'm not a programmer but does this help any???

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive...-mary-lee.aspx

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply but notice this line:

4. Compile the component checker.

This line creates a component checker which checks the interops exist for you, so you do not have to check registries/files/etc. But this only works with ClickOnce.

There HAS to be a registry key which shows the current interops and their versions- I've been Googling without success for hours now and it's very frustrating.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

I'm astounded that there is no known method to detect if Office interops are installed on a PC.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

What have you tried to determine how to check that Interops is installed???

If i were you i'd download regmon and monitor what is getting changed in the registry and figure out a way to use that information to then run your application.

Comment

If you are using Visual Studio Setup Project to deploy your VB.Net applciation, you could add the prerequisite for Office PIA:

On the other hand, if you want to know if the Office is installed in the client machine, you could check the registry key:
            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\[Office Version Number]\Common\ProductVersion
            For Office 2010, [Office Version Number] is 14.0.xx. Office 2007 is 13.0.xx.
            " DreaM is not what u saw in Sleep,
            DreaM is that which not let u Sleep "

Life is Beautiful..!!!
            `.) Always
            `.(`.) Keep
            (`.). Smiling!
            `..
            Raj only raj

Comment

Working...
            X