No announcement yet.

Outlook 2003 crashing

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 crashing

Hoping someone can provide some assistance.

We are currently in testing phase to upgrade our Citrix Infrastructure to Xenapp 6.

We are running a Windows 2008 Standard R2 x64 with Xenapp 6, with office 2003 installed locally on VM. The server is patched with latest windows, office and citrix patches, service packs and roll ups.

We have about 10 users on the desktop presented from the server and every so often Outlook hangs and needs to be ended in task manager and restarted and the following event log is created

The program OUTLOOK.EXE version 11.0.8325.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: f30
    Start Time: 01cbb87d140ea7e2
    Termination Time: 16
    Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Report Id:

We have McAfee 8.7 installed on the machine and to rule out this as the cause it has been disabled for a day but the crashes still happen.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it's happening and any fixes.

Re: Outlook 2003 crashing

Have you found a solution to this yet? I have the exact same setup and problem.

Outlook seems to hang for different users at different times. Some forums suggest it to be a McAfee problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you got any plugins in Outlook (and tried disabling them), including the McAfee one?

Hotfix (may not be specifically relevant but may be worth a try):

Get them to open in safe mode for a bit to see if that makes a difference (may not be easy in a prod environment I agree)

Seen this too?

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thank you AndyJG247,

I'll definitely give that a go. We don't use the Mcafee addon so I'll disable it alltogether.

Will post my results.

Unfortunately disabling McAffee on Outlook did not help and I don't seem to have the referenced KB update installed.

I have ask a handful of users to try Outlook in Safe mode and am waiting for their feedback.

I have also noticed some strange System logs refering to a Portable Device Enumerator Service which seems to start and then stop. According to some forums it happens when a Group Policy referencing removable media is configured.
          It is the only thing that I can see that is logged around the same time as the users' Outlook problem. Stab in the dark really.

I did notice that when the problem occurs the Outlook.exe*32 process can take up to 50% CPU usage for a single user.

The issue on our system was caused by missing registery keys.

Below is what Microsoft said was missing and needed as Outlook kept looping looking for the keys. After adding the keys manually the system has settled the hangs/crashes have stopped.

After analysing the provided data(Process Monitor Log + Hang Dumps) we noticed that Outlook is ruining in a loop when trying to access the following registry keys which are not present therefore going into a hang status:

1:37:33.8117078 PM OUTLOOK.EXE 11716 RegOpenKey HKU\S-1-5-21-400230269-302801455-620655208-16079\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outl ook\Options\MSHTML\International\1252 KEY DELETED Desired Access: Read/Write 00:01:07.1547959 0.0000053
            1:37:33.8117505 PM OUTLOOK.EXE 11716 RegOpenKey HKU\S-1-5-21-400230269-302801455-620655208-16079\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Comm on\ShipAsserts KEY DELETED Desired Access: Read/Write 00:01:07.1548386 0.0000051

Outlook 2003 requires the above registry keys, so by creating them the issue should disappear. After making some research in our internal database I found several entry’s where the issue was caused by cleaning tools like UPHClean. If you are using any registry clean tools then we recommend to upgrade them to the latest version or temporarily remove the apps.

The default location for the registry keys are:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Option s\MSHTML\International\1252
            HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Commo n\ShipAsserts

For me I had a few strange System logs refering to the Portable Device Enumerator Service and it seem to correlate to the times of Outlook crashing.

Not sure why, but after adding a group policy to disable the "Portable Device Enumerator Service" all Outlook crashes have stopped.

Thank you for your help.