Outlook 2007 won't open, again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2007 won't open, again.

The description is a bit long due to the various stages and efforts I've tried. So I uploaded (hopefully) an attachment that more fully explains the problem.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, or if you think phone contact is necessary that's okay too.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ed G.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wired; 31st December 2010, 11:35. Reason: removed email address

Re: Outlook 2007 won't open, again.

Is the PST file on a network drive somewhere??? If the PST is on a network drive then PST files are NOT supported across a network.

Try running chkdsk /f on the drive, if it is local.

Once you have done that then retry the Inbox Repair tool, scnpst, and see if it fixes the problem.

As another measure i'd move the PST file from its current location to a folder on the local drive, say c:\outlook, and see if your corruption re-occurs.

Comment

Hello Wullieb1, and thank you for helping. No it is not on a network, it is a standalone computer, as far as I know, with an Internet connection using Qwest and a wifi modem. The reason it is in the file it's in I don’t honestly know, but it has been working just fine for well over a year now when I got this new computer. I transferred the data from the old one and when I installed Outlook 2007 enterprise edition this is what it chose.

I tried running chkdsk, but I forgot and can’t figure out how to initiate it. But isn’t scandisk the same thing? And I continually try to, the other day I rebooted in safe mode hoping that would help, but it said I was not on the internet and the inbox repair tool refused to initiate.

I am not sure I can find the file if I moved it to another location closer to what should be the correct path. Because when I open my Outlook (now that I have created a new profile) it gives me the option as to which outlook of the two profiles I wish to open; If I move it would the computer know that I did and where? When I try to open the troubled one, it tries but just crashes and closes. Then I reopen it and choose the ‘Outlook new’ and it opens just fine.

The biggest problem is that my calendar has all my appointments and to do things and deadlines- which I am screwing up pretty badly. Thank you for taking the time, and looking forward to your next response.

Happy New Year (almost)!
      Ed G.

Comment

You shouldn't need an internet connection to run the inbox repair tool.

To run a chkdsk go to a command prompt, Start, Run and type cmd then press enter. In the black box that opens type chkdsk /f and that should scan and fix any bad sectors.

Comment

I did it, almost- I opened the command line and followed your instructions and got this message:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
          Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Edi> chkdsk /f
          Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
          You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.
          C:\Users\Edi>

But I am the only person on this computer and I have administrative privileges. So now what should I do? Ps. thanks for staying on this too. Ed G.

Btw I forgot to mention a few days ago I downloaded this demo program from the Internet (a suggestion from a friend): Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair v4.5 from Avanquest USA and much to my surprise it worked, at least I think so, but I can’t be sure there is so much data involved to check through.

Anyway when I tried to import the results into Outlook or even copy any of it, the program insisted that I register it; so I filled out their form online and then it asked me for payment- in other words all I can do is look at the headings but if I want to “save it” or move it or whatever I have to purchase it. So I wrote a letter to Avanquest explaining my situation, and that I do not have the funds as I am unemployed and on a stipend from the State for my disabilities, they sent me back an email apologizing but the best they would offer me was a 10% discount- Big Help, right!

They also suggested I contact Microsoft, even though I explained that I had already done that and other than their pay per issue support I have used everything else with no success. This is just an FYI, cause they say knowledge is power so every little bit helps. Ed G.

Comment

Right click the cmd prompt and select "run as administrator"
            ( for "vista elevated cmd" for more bacground info)

Stellar Pheonix is a commercial product, not associated with Microsoft in any way, so they have the right to charge for it.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello Ossian, and thank you for helping me.

If I follow your instructions- first i go to start, run, cmd but then it opens the command line? so I read your instructions further and googled and finally figured out how to get to elevated cmd and i began, this is what I got (see below), so how or what can i do not to have to reboot as I have done that several times using the Inbox repair tool and come up with the rusults that there isn't any problem but when i sign into windows i still can't open Outlook and get the same error message- by doing this will it give me a different result? Again, thank you and btw Happy New Year. Ed G.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f
              The type of the file system is NTFS.
              Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
              process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
              checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Comment

Type Y for yes, and reboot, chkdsk will run when the system restarts.

Comment

Hello there georgeeye, so I, like a good robot should, followed your instructions (and to be safe I did it twice plus once without the /f. Anyway the result was the same for all three attempts, see below, and when i rebooted (whether it was from the restart or the shutdown it didn't make a difference it still tries and crashes with the same messages as always (see my attachment in the original posting).
                  If anyone asked me what I want for Xmas or Chanukah I would say- a computer that knows when I screw up, not to let me! But I am a patient puppy, so please keep trying, I am open to anything that would help. and while I'm at it A Happy New Year to all! Ed G.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f
                  Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
                  process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
                  checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) y

This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk
                  Volume label is OS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
                  Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
                  293888 file records processed.
                  File verification completed.
                  330 large file records processed.
                  0 bad file records processed.
                  0 EA records processed.
                  44 reparse records processed.
                  CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
                  356304 index entries processed.
                  Index verification completed.
                  0 unindexed files scanned.
                  0 unindexed files recovered.
                  CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
                  293888 file SDs/SIDs processed.
                  Security descriptor verification completed.
                  31209 data files processed.
                  CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
                  37602616 USN bytes processed.
                  Usn Journal verification completed.
                  Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

609729879 KB total disk space.
                  175810392 KB in 173780 files.
                  100216 KB in 31210 indexes.
                  0 KB in bad sectors.
                  420751 KB in use by the system.
                  65536 KB occupied by the log file.
                  433398520 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
                  152432469 total allocation units on disk.
                  108349630 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Windows\system32>

Comment

chkdsk /f won't run until you restart the machine.

Have you restarted???

Comment

Happy New Year wullieb1,

Yes, I have restarted with it. I just put that one in to show you that I got the exact same result either way. But first I did it with the /f. I am at a loss, and I have missed two doctors appointments already and been late on a few bills and I can only wonder what other fires I can't put out until its too late. Please help me. Ed G.

Comment

Can I suggest you create a new outlook profiles with a fresh PST and see if the problem recurs -- we can then focus on recovering/repairing your original PST
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian and Happy New Year to you too!

When this fiasco initially began that was one of the first things I was told to do, and did. So far so good, but that doesn't help with the one I have been using for a very long time. I have tried importing it, copying it directly, opening it, both within Outlook and with Outlook being closed. All with no glimmer of success. Ed G.

What gets me is that this******** outlook pst program can restore most of it, as best as I can tell from the demo, with the click of a button- and here I sit. I don't blame them for making a profit, I actually applaud them and all those who have made the Internet one of the fastest growing, most fascinating and rewarding experiences in my lifetime. Hell, I was and still am a capitalist. It's just not fair that when someone really is not able (and isn't scamming or whatever) to use or benefit from it there aren't more people or companies willing to step up. I praise companies that do open source programs and forums (which was the original concept for making the Internet an interactive global information and Idea center for the world's people). I just wish the giant companies would do a better job in this area (Microsoft are you listening?) I know Bill Gates has given way more than his share to helping the global economy and the helpless- maybe that's why he stepped down? There comes a point when the giants have made enough, actually much more than enough (call it IT overkill) afterall how much can they spend, buy or throw away? A lot of companies forget that if they keep this up they can only go the way of the dotcom's humiliating debacle; they need us as much as we need them. Wow, I didn't realize I had so much to say on the subject, I am really sorry. Hope you can come up with something brilliant soon. Ed G.
                          Last edited by Wired; 4th January 2011, 02:05. Reason: removed name

Comment

Lets try this.

Take a backup copy of the original PST file and burn it to CD/DVD or copy it to at least 2 USB keys. 1 on each if you have 2.

Run scanpst and locate the file you want to check.

Click on start. This should now go away and fix any errors in teh PST structure that exist.

Please be aware that you should have outlook closed while doing this.

Comment

Did you want me to run scanpst on the original file on the C drive again, or on the back up copy on the cd/dvd that I am about to create? Also does it make a difference whether I copy it to a CD or DVD? and did I mention before that I have a backup copy on my external backup hard drive (ClickFree)? I think I tried to run scaspst on it too a while back, but I am not sure if I did. Ed G. PS. You do know that every time I try to run scanpst it can't - it says I have to reboot in order to run it. Because first I get this error message ---

Errors have been detected in the file xxxxx. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox Repair Tool, see Help.

I have tried to do that, unfortunately no matter how many things I close there must be one or two that I can't find and it repeats the message over and over until after I keep trying to close any mail enabled files for a while, I get this:

An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use Scandisk to check the disk for errors, and then try using the Inbox repair tool again.

PPS. thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X