Outlook 2003 contacts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 contacts

I formatted my computer (Windows XP/Outlook 2003) and cant seem to find my contacts in Outlook. Here is what I did.
    1. Copied the pst file to external HD
    2. Formatted computer and installed Outlook 2003
    3. Copies the pst file from external HD to a folder in My Documents.
    4. Opened Outlook set up email account
    5. In Outlook - file/open/outlook data management & selected the pst
    6. In Outlook - Tools/email accounts/delivered new email to the name I set for email (Sean's email)
    7. Closed Outlook and reopened
    8. In Outlook - Right clicked on the account that it started when I first opened email and closed that account.
    It seems I have everything except my contacts. How do I fix this or do I need to reinstall Outlook?
    Thank you

Re: Outlook 2003 contacts

When you say you backed up your PST file, which one? I know when I backup Outlook before re-formatting my computer I backup several PST files including one for sent mail, one for deleted mail, one for calendar, one for contacts, etc.

I'm not sure but I'm thinking you may have had to back it up separately

Comment

cfman, I think you are confusing Outlook (normally one PST file) with Outlook Express (multiple files -- dbx if I recall)

Sheila, can you see the contacts folder when you view all folders in Outlook?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Aren't contacts stored in a PAB???

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291618

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Aren't contacts stored in a PAB???

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291618
          They sure are. But its not clear "how" he backed up his mailbox to .pst. If he didnt export them to .pst via Outlook or copy the PAB file manually then he's lost his contacts as he's formatted his PC now. Assuming he doesnt have a backup of course...

Comment

Are we talking about the same Outlook?
            IIRC 2003 ditched the PAB file as obsolete. I remember upgrading users and importing it into their contacts folder
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi everyone
              When I formatted a long time ago I had direct Outlook to store the .pst file in my documents instead of the normal place Outlook stores it. Yes, when I click on contacts the emails are there; however when I start a new email email and click on the address book the contacts are not there.

Comment

Go to the contacts folder, right click and select properties and look for "show as outlook address book"
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Where is the contacts folder?

Comment

In Outlook, click on the contacts button
                    You contacts folder(s) are at the top left corner of the outlook window
                    Right click one and select PROPERTIES
                    Click on OUTLOOK ADDRESS BOOK tab and select the tick box
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      Are we talking about the same Outlook?
                      IIRC 2003 ditched the PAB file as obsolete. I remember upgrading users and importing it into their contacts folder
                      Tom,

You could be right. All these versions just roll into one lol.

Sorry to the OP for misleading you.

Comment

Working...
                      X