No announcement yet.

Outlook contacts require password

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Outlook contacts require password

    After succesfully migrating Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 we notice that the Outlook clients require a username, password and domain when accessing the Outlook contacts, and only the contacts.

    We've changed the MAPI profile on the XP workstations to the new server and the mailbox can be used as it should. Removing and re-adding the Outlook Contacts in the MAPI profile does not solve this. There are no PST files in use.

    I've checked the registry for the old Exchange Server name and changed it to the new one, in an attempt to solve this. Needless to say, it's not the solution

    If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
    If needed more info is available.


  • #2
    Re: Outlook contacts require password

    So you say that after the migration, qhenever you try to access your MBX all is fine, but if you click on the OL contacts folder, you're prompter for the password again?

    How exactly did you migrate?

    Does this happen to all users?

    If not, why not try to export all the mailbox to PST and import it to a new mailbox, then connect the user to the new mailbox?

    Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services


    • #3
      Re: Outlook contacts require password

      Does the user exist in the new domain? with the correct username and password? Looks like credentials issue.


      • #4
        Re: Outlook contacts require password

        Thanks for tips, It's worth a try.

        We have used the Migration Wizard from Exhange 2K3 to migrate the mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003. This migrates the mail to new disabled users/mailboxes on the new domain. Re-enabling the users and setting permissions allow for user access to the mailbox. This all works just fine. The usernames are exactly the the same as on the old domain, of course with a new SID. Only the users who had Outlook Contacts configured in the Exchange 5.5 environment suffer this problem.

        We found out a possible other reason, that is if you check the advanced properties of the Outlook Contacts in the MAPI profile, we see the name "contacts" twice. Removing one of the two might also be the solution.