No announcement yet.

user prompt to password when open outlook 2007

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user prompt to password when open outlook 2007

Hi all,

Before I continue i would like to thank all that help.

We are using exchange 2010 and outlook 2007.

I have 45 users in the office all running the same configuration (as far as I can tell)

One user when opening outlook 2007 receives a message.
    A prompt window comes up with the heading:

"Personal folder network connection password"
    and the body is:

Username: john do

There are two options: OK and Cancel

The user put his password and click OK but it would not accept it. we are using only one password to logon to the windows operating system (XP SP3).

I checked his settings and they are the same as anyone else in the office.
    When the users click on cancel the windows gone and the user is able to work without any problems.

When I to check the account settings I can see that the user has two locations for his data files:

One the ots for the offline files and the other of the server for the pts file. I am not sure if this is relevant but again I am new to exchange and outlook.

Again thank you in advance for your help

Re: user prompt to password when open outlook 2007

As this error is stating that user does have a pst file with password enabled.

If he can't remember the password for the pst file there are some tools around which can uncover it or if he doesn't need the pst file anymore you can simply delete it from the outlook user profile.

Re: user prompt to password when open outlook 2007

Also note it is not recommended to store PST files on a network share.

Is the prompt for the PST password or his logon credentials?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **