Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spam with outlook 2003 and exchange 5.5

hi!..first sorry for my english
    I would like an help form all of you, in our company we had an architecture with exchange 5.5 and some of collegues received a lot of spam. They ask our ICT superboss and he told us that we need to install outlook 2003 and we'll resolve 90% of our problem?...
    is it true that with exchange 5.5 and outlook 2003 we resolve our problem?....it seems me strange.....tanks....

Re: spam with outlook 2003 and exchange 5.5

Outlook does have a BASIC spam filter which they can control, but it's nothing compared to a full spam appliance solution (software or hardware based).
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by giobaxx View Post
      hi!..first sorry for my english
      I would like an help form all of you, in our company we had an architecture with exchange 5.5 and some of collegues received a lot of spam. They ask our ICT superboss and he told us that we need to install outlook 2003 and we'll resolve 90% of our problem?...
      is it true that with exchange 5.5 and outlook 2003 we resolve our problem?....it seems me strange.....tanks....
      Outlook most certainly will not resolve your problems. It only uses a basic signature/scoring/hueristic method for sifting through what it thinks may be junk mail. The feature is self though is quite basic.
      Ideally you want to get that 5.5 Exchange upgraded to at least 2003 where Exchange has some elementry Anti-Spam capabilities. Ultimately though you need a 3rd party application or appliance to deal with SPAM like an email gateway.

Comment

If you are still using exchange 5.5 you have enough other issues without worrying about spam!

And suggesting "upgrading" to an obsolete client is not really what an "IT Superboss" should be recommending
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think what Ossian is saying, Exchange versions since 5.5:
          Exchange 2000
          Exchange 2003
          Exchange 2007
          Exchange 2010
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            Outlook does have a BASIC spam filter which they can control, but it's nothing compared to a full spam appliance solution (software or hardware based).
            If you have to continue using ex 5.5/outlook 2003, then you might want to try using the spambayes plugin on Outlook.

When I was using pop3 (and latterly exchange) email, it was quite effective at binning the spam.

However, that's more a work-around more than anything, it's like covering the hole in your jacket with a patch, it will need replacing eventually.

Comment

giobaxx, what is the present email client that you are using?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X