Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2007 messages have disappeared

Hello,
    I was hoping someone may be able to help with this problem.
    A recent company project required the moving of emails from personal inboxes to public folders.
    When moving from one mailbox there was an issue around security so I copied from the mailbox to a pst and then to the public folders.
    When I went to check the folders the emails seem to have disappeared. The outlook folder structure is in tact but it seems than only approx 15%-20% of email have copied across and the rest are missing.
    Any ideas where I might be able to find them????

Re: Outlook 2007 messages have disappeared

Does the original mailbox still exist?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Yes the mailbox is stil there

Comment

Can you reconnect to it and do another export?
        If you choose the older version of pst files there is a 2Gb limit - that could be what you met
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian
          Thanks for your help but I ended up adding a registry key to the PC to allow me to recover emails other than the deleted items folde.

Comment

Any chance you could tell us what registry key so that other people with this problem can see how to fix it?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Of course, apologies

By default, the recover deleted items feature works only with the Deleted Items folder (soft delete), but if a message is deleted using Shift + Delete (hard delete) from another folder, it will not appear in the Recover Deleted Items of the Deleted Items folder, or in another common case: when an user moves messages from his/her mailbox (Inbox, Sent Items) to a .pst file.

You can roll back this situation by modifying the registry. You will have to add an entry called DumpsterAlwaysOn in the registry of the computer that lets the Recover Deleted Items work in all of the Outlook folders.

To modify the registry, follow these steps:

Go to Start, select Run, type regedit and then click OK.
              Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cli ent\Options
              Right click on right side frame, then go to New, select DWord Value, type DumpsterAlwaysOn and then complete the value field with a 1 (Figure 5)
              Restart Outlook

After that registry modification, you will be able to use the Recover Deleted Items feature for all Outlook folders.

Note:
              When you export messages from your Inbox to a *.pst file, all the messages moved in this process will be considered as hard deleted from the Inbox.

Comment

Thanks Stevie, it is much appreciated.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X