Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for PST files.

Hi,
    I am using MS Outlook 2007.Under Accout Settings....>Data Files I can see " Archive Folders " and " Personal Folders" . Actually I want to make backup of my pst file and boths files extentions are " .pst "

Please explaint the difference between them ?

There are some more files like

entend.bat
    outlook.sharing.xml.obi
    outlook.xml.kfi
    spscoll.dat

what are these files? is it also important to take back with pst file extention?

please clear the ambiguity

thanks in advance
    mypass

Re: Need help for PST files.

Originally posted by mypass604 View Post
    Hi,
    I am using MS Outlook 2007.Under Accout Settings....>Data Files I can see " Archive Folders " and " Personal Folders" . Actually I want to make backup of my pst file and boths files extentions are " .pst "

Please explaint the difference between them ?
    The Personal Folders.pst is your live current working outlook set. The Archive Folders.pst is where you'd effectively save old emails etc onto a separate file and away from your Personal Folders.pst
    Some users will 'auto-archive' (from the menus) so that emails older than 6 months will be automatically moved from the Personal Folders.pst into the Archive Folders.pst. Its as simple as that really. You can open and close the Archive Folders.pst any time you want to retrieve old emails that are no longer in your Personal Folders.pst.
    File > Open > Outlook data file > [point to your Archive Folders.pst] It will then load into outlook underneath your Personal Folders pane.

There are some more files like

entend.bat
    outlook.sharing.xml.obi
    outlook.xml.kfi
    spscoll.dat

what are these files? is it also important to take back with pst file extention?
    Can't really help you with thos i'm afraid.

Comment

Re: Need help for PST files.

There is no real difference between the both kinds of pst files except the Archiv Folders are created by the built-in archive function from Outlook while Personal Folders are created when adding a data file to the profile.

I'm not sure if the archive function is able to create pst files in the extented version which means support for larger then 2 GB, but that't the only difference I can think of. Since pst files are evil like hell no matter which process created them I would suggest you use them only for a limited time frame.

Regarding the other files I have no idea.

Comment

Working...
      X