Outlook 2007 unable to connect to Exchange 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2007 unable to connect to Exchange 2007

My environment is 2 DCs (one of them is the GC), new Exchange 2007 server, and an old Exchange 2003 server.

For some reason when I am setting up a new account in Outlook 2007 with the new Exchange 2007 server, it says the following error when trying to Check Name. "The action can not be completed. The connection Microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

It is working fine if i try to enter in the old exchange server or the GC

any suggestions?

Thx.

Re: Outlook 2007 unable to connect to Exchange 2007

Check DNS is OK on both client and server and that each can resolve the other by fqdn
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

DNS seems to be working ok...

Comment

Was the Exchange 2007 server a DC at one time?

Comment

We had the same problem when we first put in Exchange 2007, and were able to fix it by fully updating Exchange and Windows. Which version of Windows are you running it on, 2003 or 2008?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It was never a DC. I am running it on Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without HyperV 64bit version SP 1

Comment

Hi

Disable IPV6 on the Client (network Settings), ALSO add in the registry entry

Create a NEW DWORD called DisabledComponents in the following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip6\Parameters\

Modify the HEXADECIMAL Entry - put in 8 f's

Once this is done, sometimes you STILL cannot resolve the username to the Exchange server (when you are setting up a new outlook profile), CHANGE THE SERVER NAME To I.P address, then check name, this should then work !

Hope it helps
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

Comment

the client is using windows xp which doesn't have IPv6 in network settings...

Comment

The only problem I have ever encountered with Outlook 2007 where Outlook 2003 was connecting was due to the SPNs being set incorrectly on the Exchange 2007 server. It may be worth googling that and checking them.

Comment

Ok i was able to resolve the issue by making all the DCs as GCs. Replicated the services and rebooted one of the DC servers. Now working. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X