Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Redirection and Outlook 2007

Hey All!

I am hoping some one here (or multiple people) can lend me a hand. I am currently in the process of deploying Citrix XenDesktop and am having some issues with folder redirection and Outlook 2007. The reason for the folder redirection is that each XenDesktop image is in a "Read Only" mode so users can not save persistent data to the desktop. So to help with the issue with them logging into different desktops and keeping some of the same settings I am redirecting the "Application Data" to network share via GPO. However, it seems that each time a user logs on and opens Outlook they have to run through the setup wizard each time. Is there something else to redirect besides "Application Data" to get Outlook 2007 to work?

TIA,

-Jason
    MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Re: Folder Redirection and Outlook 2007

Outlook saves some data to the Local Settings folder, which is not part of the roaming profile. Nor can it be redirected, natively. It's a shell folder though (hint).
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Gforce,

Thanks for the reply. If I a picking up your "hint" correctly, I should be able to make changes via the registry to redirect the "Local Settings" folder?

-Jason

Comment

Thats right - either by directly modifying the registry with regedit or merging a REG file, or with Group Policy Preferences. Depending on which method you chose, you may need to escape the backslashes in the path (ie \\\\server\\share\\directory). Post back if you have any problems
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Thats right - either by directly modifying the registry with regedit or merging a REG file, or with Group Policy Preferences. Depending on which method you chose, you may need to escape the backslashes in the path (ie \\\\server\\share\\directory). Post back if you have any problems
          Any tips on how to deploy it via a GPO (without using GP Preferences, still 2k3 here) would be helpful. I have the keys exported that I need and I would prefer not to have to use a log on script to manage the deployment.

TIA

Comment

If you have Vista and/or 7 machines on the domain you can edit a GPO from there - the new functionality in Group Policy should be available. As long as you have the GP Preferences extension installed on any 2003/XP domain members (and DCs) which is available through Windows Update / WSUS, then the preferences will take effect - you don't need to be able to manage them on the servers.

If not, then it'll be a login script. Or if you can trust your users to follow instructions, you could tell everybody to run a batch script once to import the registry settings, and then logout and back in. That way you avoid the login script - and for a change like this you only need it to be run once (per user). You would need to login as every new user though when accounts are created to run the script.

One thing I should point out is that there's a reason why the Local Settings folder isn't part of the roaming profile - the settings in there are specific to a computer and the specific versions of specific applications installed on that computer. This is in contrast to the Application Data folder, which is part of the roaming profile, which stores more "generic" settings. I would therefore strongly suggest that you redirect the folder to a path like this *:

Code:
            \\servername\UserLocalSettings$\%username%\%computername%
            This will allow you to do what you want while still keeping separate settings for each computer.

* this example assumes that you are doing something similar to what I do, which is to create a new hidden share for each redirected folder, eg UserDesktops$, UserDocuments$ etc

One last thing I should point out: when you use "proper" redirection, the contents of the redirected folder are automatically moved. This will not be the case when you manually redirect a folder by modifying the registry. The old files will remain where they were before though, so you can copy them over if you want. Given that until now these files have been deleted at the end of every session though (and therefore won't remain where they were anyway) there's no harm in having the settings created from scratch. Also, it makes this point far less relevant still worth mentioning for future reference though.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Gforce,

Thanks for the tips..

I was able to setup and implement the GP Preferences and have pushed the CSE's to my test XP clients. I have created a registry entry in the preferences as follows:

Action - Replace
              Hive - HKCU
              Key Path - Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \User Shell Folders
              Value Name - Local Settings
              Value Type - REG_EXPAND_SZ
              Value Data - \\fileserver\UserLocalSettings$\%username%\%comput ername%

When I log in as my test user I see that the folders get created on my fileserver. After launching Outlook 2K7 and running through the setup wizard. I then logoff and reboot the virtual desktop to flush user profiles and log back in. When launching outlook it again prompts to work through the wizard... Any thoughts???

TIA,

-Jason
              Last edited by VWA4; 10th August 2009, 18:11.

Comment

Use Process Monitor to see what happens (and where) as you go through the wizard. It may be that somehting is still trying to save data locally, rather than in the redirected folder for some reason.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

One more point I should make... if you do have Vista or 7 machines on the domain, I'd advise creating two separate GPOs. Use the manual redirection as we've discussed for XP, and use "proper" redirection on Vista and 7 - at least then you're doing it how Microsoft want you to do it. Or make a note to yourself to migrate over once you get rid of the last XP machine in the system.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    One more point I should make... if you do have Vista or 7 machines on the domain, I'd advise creating two separate GPOs. Use the manual redirection as we've discussed for XP, and use "proper" redirection on Vista and 7 - at least then you're doing it how Microsoft want you to do it. Or make a note to yourself to migrate over once you get rid of the last XP machine in the system.
                    Yup, already done...

Thanks for all of the assistance, rep points have been awarded.

-Jason

Comment

Thanks
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                      X