Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*.pst files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • *.pst files

    All,
    First of all I want to get rid of *.pst files, but like many there isn't a real budget for proper archiving tools.

    Our solution, for the time being, are these unfortunate *.pst files causing headaches. So we let the users place them on a network share. Keeping in mind that putting these on the network and having users access them using Outlook has a serious impact on the client and network.

    The question is! How can we prevent users from accessing them through Outlook? I don't have any problem that they make backups of local *.pst files on the file share. But I don't want them to link/ attach/ connect network stored *.pst files with their Outlook client.

    Any help or tips in achieving this are welcome.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Re: *.pst files

    Are you using Exchange?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: *.pst files

      Yes, we use Exchange.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: *.pst files

        Remove there read/write access to those .pst's or remove there access to the NFS share altogether. One must give though. They cant have r/w access to the share to backup and then not the abilty to attach the .pst. Permmisions is your only current option assuming you have no budget for 3rd party software. Additionally depending on the version of exchange you are using and the amount of storage available merge the .pst's with exchange.
        Last edited by scurlaruntings; 23rd July 2009, 12:17.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: *.pst files

          What are yo going to do when users mailboxes get too large???

          PST files should NOT be stored on a network share nor should it be accessed from a network share as they WILL get corrupted.

          Make users store the file locally on there own drives then get them to back them up to CD/DVD.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: *.pst files

            MS says .pst's can corrupt at 2GB. Iv seen .pst's corrupt at a 50MB or so. There just not a good solution for archiving espcially over a network share.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: *.pst files

              That is exactly my point! I know you shouldn't access *.pst files over the network and that is why I'm looking for some way to prevent this without completely blocking the end users being able to make a backup of the *.pst file on the network.

              For starters the *.pst will be on the local disk. But local disc = unreliable, network share should be more reliable.
              CD/ DVD = bad idea! for obvious reasons.

              But thanks for the replies and keep ideas coming.

              For those interested a link to the KB from Microsoft on *.pst on the network http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019/en-us

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: *.pst files

                Could you just create some kind of script using robocopy to copy each users *.pst files to a file share on an interval of time? That way the users know nothing of the process and don't have to worry about backing anything up. You could make the share hidden (which only hides it from the most naive of users, but it's a start anyway) and only allow access to the specific account you create for the PST backups. Make it a scheduled task that runs without the user being logged on. Run it late at night when everyone is gone.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: *.pst files

                  Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                  Could you just create some kind of script using robocopy to copy each users *.pst files to a file share on an interval of time? That way the users know nothing of the process and don't have to worry about backing anything up. You could make the share hidden (which only hides it from the most naive of users, but it's a start anyway) and only allow access to the specific account you create for the PST backups. Make it a scheduled task that runs without the user being logged on. Run it late at night when everyone is gone.
                  Outlook would have to be closed. If there are any open handles on that .pst the xcopy will fail. Backup software could do it with VSS but thats cumbersome.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: *.pst files

                    Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                    Outlook would have to be closed. If there are any open handles on that .pst the xcopy will fail. Backup software could do it with VSS but thats cumbersome.
                    Hence scheduling it at night when everyone is logged off. I suppose there could be some error handling in the script that would dump a log file for any failed copies due to the file being open.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: *.pst files

                      Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                      Hence scheduling it at night when everyone is logged off. I suppose there could be some error handling in the script that would dump a log file for any failed copies due to the file being open.
                      Assuming the users have closed Outlook and logged off. You know what users are like

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: *.pst files

                        Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                        Assuming the users have closed Outlook and logged off. You know what users are like
                        Three cheers for shutdown.exe /f /t 0 /r

                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        -------------------------------
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X