Outlook Unable to Connect to Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Unable to Connect to Server

I recently (about a week ago) installed MS Office Suite 2003 on my laptop which is also brand new Dell Inspiron 15. I'm running Vista Home Premium and connect to LAN with a wireless card (Clearview). All programs in the suite work except OUTLOOK.

When I open Outlook I get an error message "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.". When I hit OK--- It then prompts a dialog box requesting the server name and mailbox name. Hitting OK on this dialog results in the error "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened."

I've been searching Google and there is much info and many people with the exact same problem, but there seems to no quick fix. I've tried tuning off firewall, adjusting registry, opening/closing ports, connecting with a wired modem as well as re-install. Nothing seems to work!

Pls note---This is a stand alone personal home computer that is NOT part of a Home Network and not used in a work environment with other users. Does it suppose to route through an exchange server since itís a single stand alone computer?

Pls also note--when I right click on the outlook icon in the system tray then click connection status -- the MS Exchange Server dialog box opens, but there's absolutely no info in the box! (no server or name, no connect info nothing!!)

Quite a few post Iíve read are pointing to RPC working over HTTP and setting up a RPC proxy server and adjusting the global catalog and exchange server!! This is much too technical for me. I'm a CSR Supervisor not a Network Administrator or IT guy. I do use my computer for a home based business and Outlook is essential!

Can someone/anyone please help??
    Thanks

Matt

Re: Is there a fix for this??

Go into control panel open the mail (.cpl) and delete the Outlook profile.

Comment

Note that you may want to create a new profile and set as the default with no switching, just in case.

Note: you'll need your email provider to help you set up the new outlook profile. You may also want to check with them to see if they have a web mail service.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Outlook Unable to Connect to Server

I have changed your question title - I suggest you read the post at the top of every forum for guidance on an appropriate title. "Is there a fix for this" is not an appropriate question title.

I am also going to move the question to the Outlook forum, as it has nothing to do with Exchange.

Simon
        Exchange Forum moderator.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I suspect you may have configured your Outlook incorrectly when installing.

Where you upgrading from Office 2000/XP or Outlook Express, or is this a new install?

Can you tell me more about your email account? If its a stand alone Pc, the Exchange part of the setup does not need to be configured.

Usually on Stand Alone Pc's email is configured using POP and SMTP addresses. This may look like double dutch too you, dont worry if it is.

Without giving too much away can you tell me more about you email account and ISP. Do you know what these are?

Your email address should look like.

[email protected]

Your ISP should have provided POP and SMTP addresses that look something like

POP.btinternet.com
          SMTP.btintnernet.com

Does any of this look familiar?

Do not post your actual email address or passwords etc.

We should be able to point you in the right direction once we know a bit more...
          MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
            Go into control panel open the mail (.cpl) and delete the Outlook profile.
            Thanks for your help---problem resolved after 5 days!! I'm looking for the hard answer, and it was as simple as incorrect profile set up! guess thats why you guys make the big bucks. Rep points for ya!!

Comment

Originally posted by N2Deep View Post
              Thanks for your help---problem resolved after 5 days!! I'm looking for the hard answer, and it was as simple as incorrect profile set up! guess thats why you guys make the big bucks. Rep points for ya!!
              Ok i earn a fair bit but it aint big bucks

Comment

Working...
              X