Macro creation for Outlook.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macro creation for Outlook.

I have a client who wants to create a simple Outlook Macro to insert the same line of text into the subject field in Outlook that they have to type 100's of times a day. They are using Outlook 2003/2007, anybody who could help?
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: Macro creation for Outlook.

Its possible in 2007 with quickparts. Open an email enter your text in the body of the email.Hightlight your text. Now click on the tab above that says "insert" and then click on "quick parts". It will then give you and option to save it. The user can then click quickparts to enter the text they have saved.
    Last edited by scurlaruntings; 17th July 2009, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
      Its possible in 2007 with quickparts. Open an email enter your text in the body of the email. Hightlight your text. Now click on the tab above that says "insert" and then click on "quick parts". It will then give you and option to save it. The user can then click quickparts to enter the text they have saved.
      Nice idea but this only seems to work if the saved Quick parts is for the body of the email. In the 20 odd minutes I have played with it, I can't get it to save from or paste to the Subject line in the email. It requires a Cut & Paste to get the saved text into the location that the OP wants it placed.

The last 15 or so minutes in seem to indicate what the OP wants can be achieved by using a Macro. How, will require more use of but it will give brcmadmin somewhere to look. Post back if you still have no luck and we will see what we can do to help.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Correct it does only work with the body of the email but thats what Quick Parts was designed for. There is very handy 3rd party app that can copy and paste anything from function keys called Qphrase and would do the same job. And can be used to paste text on repetition into any document. Im not sure if its still around as i used to use it back in the NT4 days.
        Last edited by scurlaruntings; 21st July 2009, 16:30.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Nice idea but this only seems to work if the saved Quick parts is for the body of the email. In the 20 odd minutes I have played with it, I can't get it to save from or paste to the Subject line in the email. It requires a Cut & Paste to get the saved text into the location that the OP wants it placed.

The last 15 or so minutes in seem to indicate what the OP wants can be achieved by using a Macro. How, will require more use of but it will give brcmadmin somewhere to look. Post back if you still have no luck and we will see what we can do to help.
          Yea I spent over 1hr on Google, I am not much of a programmer so I had no luck. Always where I go first before posting on any forum.

Comment

Had a look at any of these? http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cro+in+outlook
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

I know how to create the Macro, it is the programming portion I dont know. I dont know VB

Comment

In outlook 2007
                (adapted from:http://www.experts-exchange.com/Micr..._24361581.html )
                Sub InsertSubject()
                Dim olkMsg As Outlook.MailItem
                'Get the currently open message'
                Set olkMsg = Outlook.Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
                olkMsg.Subject = "My text"
                'Destroy the object to avoid memory leaks'
                Set olkMsg = Nothing

End Sub
                Tested and works
                You will need to work out how to assign it to a button etc.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  In outlook 2007
                  (adapted from:http://www.experts-exchange.com/Micr..._24361581.html )

Tested and works
                  You will need to work out how to assign it to a button etc.
                  So save this as a VBS?

Comment

Please read Biggles link -- the one you said you know how to do -- on how to create the macro
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Please read Biggles link -- the one you said you know how to do -- on how to create the macro
                      I don't know VBS, I go to tools > Macros and create one, but not sure how you save it etc...

If you know that it works, do you think you could be a little more helpful? I would totally appreciate it. I want to get this to my client to be done with it.

Comment

Got it working, thanks guys!!!

Comment

If you know that it works, do you think you could be a little more helpful? I would totally appreciate it. I want to get this to my client to be done with it.
                          Are you asking for professional advice to do something that you will be charging your client for?
                          Since you are a member of this forum, I will only charge GBP 400 per day, plus travel and expenses at cost
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Do you know what code I could insert to make it open a new message with that text? That will only insert the text if a new email is open.

Comment

Are you asking for professional advice to do something that you will be charging your client for?
                              Since you are a member of this forum, I will only charge GBP 400 per day, plus travel and expenses at cost
                              I am his server admin, my client asked me this as a favor, I said I would look into it on my free time and see if I could come up with anything. Someone quoted him a couple thousand to do this. I am not charging him anything for this. Haha about the travel expenses!

Comment

Working...
                              X